1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

server quota exceeded

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mydoll, May 14, 2012.

1. I keep getting emails saying I have used more than 85% of my server quota. I use ICT a lot in my lessons and I really don't want to delete anything. Do you think special pleading will get me anywhere ?

2. I keep getting emails saying I have used more than 85% of my server quota. I use ICT a lot in my lessons and I really don't want to delete anything. Do you think special pleading will get me anywhere ?

3. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

What exactly are you asking? Should you need more space on the network and you've kept all your files in order, archived older ones and published any that need to be shared in the public drives rather than on your area, carry anything large such as media files on a memory stick or on the dedicated media drive in school - then there's no reason why you shouldn't have more space on your account. In fact, there's no "special pleading" needed, it's interfering with your job if you aren't allocated more space....

4. Thank you J,- it is likely to be media files that are taking up the most space.
    I have done all of the above - although we are told not to use memory sticks other than the encrypted ones availaible to BUY from council !
    I do put stuff in our "shared area", but I like to keep some in my own space in case someone accidentally deletes it. I spend ages on resources, beause I enjoy messing about on computers, but I want to be able to have the fruits of my twiddlings on hand in school and re-use them when relevant.
    I think you are right- I should just ask for more space!

5. rubikwizard

rubikwizard New commenter

I use DropBox. A little sweet-talking to the network manager allowed me to install the client on my teacher PC and laptop so I don't have to use the web interface. Works great for synching files between home and school.

6. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I'd definitely look at whether your school has a media server / media drive to put these files on. Not only will this mean other teachers can access your media, but also your media files won't be in the scheduled backup routines of the staff documents making your network manager a lot happier!!

7. One of these should do it:

http://www.ebuyer.com/291389-buffalo-linkstation-live-v2-1tb-1x-1tb-nas-drive-ls-x1-0tl-eu

8. I use dropbox too, but don't have the necessary permissions to install it at school, so I have been stuck with accessing my files on the web-not great when you want to grab things quickly in class. Maybe i should ask for permission to install it- that would be great !

9. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Dropbox doesn't want to install for me on the network - first time I installed it, typed in the grid's proxy and set it to use my documents - files wouldn't sync. Attempted to reinstall so it goes to the desktop - just crashes explorer.exe on install this time. Hmm.