1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Serrano Ham

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jan 5, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I bought a packet on my way home from work yesterday at a reduced price (think they were trying to sell it off after Christmas) - does anybody have a good recipe for me to try? I also have a nearly full packet of filo in the fridge if anybody can combine the two [​IMG]

2. egyptgirl

I bought a packet on my way home from work yesterday at a reduced price (think they were trying to sell it off after Christmas) - does anybody have a good recipe for me to try? I also have a nearly full packet of filo in the fridge if anybody can combine the two [​IMG]

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I like serrano or parma ham wrapped round monkfish tails with red pesto inbetween, and baked in the oven. I'm not a fan of filo, so don't tend to use it other than for spanakopita. Sorry, not much use there!

4. egyptgirl

That's OK, Si! I should be able to think of something to do with the filo - I am half-Greek after all! - but today my brain is stumped!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Wrap chicken breasts in Serrano and cook, serve with a tomatoey rice.

layer filo with serrano and cheese, cut into slices and bake.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

7. egyptgirl

Thanks! I'll take a look.
    I disagree. I made an orange and caramel tart which works out at under 200 cals per serving. [​IMG]

8. I do this.
    Heaven.
    It works well with white fish too.
    It is also very yummy wrapped around fresh figs and grilled for a minute or two...

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

Which supermarket? Should we all try to get some ot 50%???

10. egyptgirl

Tescos - bought my pack for £1.50 and they also had parma ham at the same price. Quite reasonable pack sizes too.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've just checked out your link on the dessert thread. I've only ever seen filo layered with butter. I assume it worked out well with the egg white. That looks good. I need to find some lower cal desserts. There don't seem to be any in my Nigella books which are my dessert bibles!

12. Just eat it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.