1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seriously Underrated Bands

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Dec 24, 2015.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Can I nominate Marillion - all their albums are very listenable and they are (or were) terrific live.

Also the late, great John Martyn - a master technician and a very interesting live performer (you were never quite sure what to expect with John). I saw him storm offstage in Bristol because the sound wasn't to his liking and also do one of the best gigs I ever saw at Bradford Uni donkeys years ago on a cold winter's night when most of his band didn't show up. It was him, his bass player and a drum machine. He did a load of his classic acoustic songs off the cuff - it was fantastic.

cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I don't rate Marillion tbh, just not my cup of tea, but John Martyn I love and would have been excited to see play live. I get John Martyn earworms from time to time - I just wake up with them and then that's it for the day: Spencer the Rover or whatever.

3. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

SirHenry@RawlinsonEn Occasional commenter

The Lords (originally skiffle). Much from the early to mid sixties is overlooked, goes unrecorded/documented, and was considerably more creative than pop of the past 30 years.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He did a solo gig in Hyde Park many years ago which wasn't released commercially until it came as a bonus with one of his special edition releases. God knows why because it's lovely.

He had a special attachment to his guitar equipment so he could do the echo intros to songs like "Big Muff" which gave him a unique sound. I saw him again towards the end of his life (after he had his leg amputated) and although his singing voice had completely gone the guitar stuff was still amazing.

cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ride... 90s guitar band with some nice tunes that got forgotten [in seemed] in the wave of Britpop.

6. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

Talking of John Martyn - far more underrated has to be a similar styled musician from only a few years earlier ; Davey Graham who died just one month before John Martyn.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

From the 70s - Family and Vinegar Joe.

HelenREMfan and cissy3 like this.
  8. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

Absolutely. Both made excellent appearences on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

The first time I heard this, I was blown away. I love echoey things.
    'Dealer'

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands. From The Monks to Man or Astroman

Seriously overrated bands would be far easier - U2 for example, Pink Floyd. Genesis, And, er, Marillion.

One of Britain's best bands, up there with Stone Roses, The Clash and The Beatles: Half Man Half Biscuit. A national treasure...

12. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Orange Juice - with Edwyn Collins and then when the great man went solo.

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Fleetwood Mac, and by that I mean Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac up to the early 70s. Rumours was a fine album but after that Fleetwood Mac became seriously over-rated.

I wouldn't have said Marillion were particularly under (or over-rated), they were a good but maybe not spectacular band.

Can I also add the prog rock group Camel and the hard rockers Molly Hatchet?

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I saw John Martyn live at my university union. He told us to go forth and multiply and stormed off the stage.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I saw him a few times in the 70s - lovely music but he was extremely foul mouthed.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

More currently, I Am Kloot are very much underrated in my opinion.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I saw John Martyn in my first term at uni when I was in the society that ran the events, he was as foul mouthed off stage as he was on, I wasn't quite sure what hit me! JM.PNG

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sounds like John - he could be brilliant or terrible depending on how much he'd had to drink before he went on.

He hated doing encores too.

Paul Carrack never gets the credit he deserves either - he's written so many great songs for other people. He has a great voice and is a very versatile musician in his own right.

...and on the subject of underrated/obscure stuff - Mike Rutherford's first solo album "Smallcreeps Day" is a masterpiece.

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I fully agree with you there.

Another one I think who is often overlooked (outside of his homeland Ireland) is the blues rock guitarist Rory Gallagher, probably because he looked like just another bloke in the pub to many