1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seriously Annoyed!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

So after holding on to my application for 3 months i just got a rejection. I am sooooo annoyed, why hold on to it for sooo long if they didnt want me why not just send it on while there may still be a space left at my second choice. I want to cry [​IMG]

2. I'm sorry to hear that.

May I ask what uni it was?

3. Oh Cosmic Rainbow I feel for you! If it wasn't meant to be this time then just think hopefully something better will come of it!

4. Hi,
    the exact same thing happened to me, well actually they took about two months! , so i know how you feel,
    dont worry im sure you will get a place,
    did they give you any feedback?

5. Cosmic_Rainbow

Oh and it gets better...the reason on gttr says The reference written was unsupportive [​IMG]
    It was Loughborough for Secondary Biology

6. what! thats crazy who did your reference?

7. Im sorry to hear that :(

8. Wow why would someone offer to do your ref and then not help you! Who did it for you?

9. Cosmic_Rainbow

one of my tutors wrote it. i didnt think you were allowed to write a bad reference [​IMG]

10. Im sorry to hear this - i know how you feel though - after waiting for a month n half after my interview - i got rejected from cambridge (secondary biology) - they havnt given me any feedback either....

The worst part of it all is the waiting - i have now been waiting 5 weeks to hear from my second choice to see if they will invite me for interview - still nothing :( its such a frustrating process!!!

Keep your chin up!!

11. Cosmic_Rainbow

Im just sooooo annoyed it was over the sodding reference

12. did they send you a letter of intent in that time? or did they just not respond?

13. That seems really tough -- although I think that perhaps you should take some comfort from the fact that despite the reference (which, as far as I understand it, they get with your application and personal statement) they obviously thought it worthwhile interviewing you. I would take it that their decision was not as "simple" as the GTTR reason sounds, and that the reason why it has taken them so long to get back to you is that they were genuinely wrestling with the fact that you did well at interview and yet the ref was not matching up to the person they saw. Does that make sense??
    I understand that this doesn't help with the situation that you're in now, (and I'm sure if I was in the same position I wouldn't be able to be as "philosophical" about it) but if I were you I would try and get some more feedback from the Uni itself - and don't give up; if you really want this, you'll get there in the end.....

14. Cosmic_Rainbow

i did not have an interview

15. Cosmic rainbow - compleltely feel for you! its so annoying having to give an academic reference as your main 1. i had to put my personal tutor from uni down who i only met in my first year because it was compulsory too! she then took forever to do my reference, and only did it because i told the careers centre after 3 weeks and they emailed her to tell her to hurry up with it! then she finaly did it and had the cheek to then say "looking at the modules you've done well in, you should consider a career as a peadeatric neuro clinical psychologist instead of teaching" and then wrote me a long email about that. i couldnt believe the cheek of it! clearly i wanted to do teaching from my personal statement, and she cant be as busy as she made out if she could write a long email about rubbish!
    I completely agree with what lise74 wrote

16. sorry this bit wasnt meant to be a quote...
    I know nothing any of us say on here is going to make you feel better today, but good luck. you have such a cheery user name so hopefully you'll be smiling again soon!

17. I does make u wonder what was in your reference - i thought that you couldnt actually get given a "bad" reference - and if they didnt have anything nice to say then they could just refuse to give one.
    Have you contacted the uni to see if they can shed any light on the matter - it could just be something really trivial they didnt like?

18. I can't get over how mean the tutor was to you. The tutor should have been honest and upfront with you if he/she didn't support your teaching application. Sympathy for you.

19. Cosmic_Rainbow

now it just feel like my whole application is a flipping waste of time as no matter how good my statement and work experience is the bad reference will put all the providers off

20. Hey you never know, it might be they received a large cut in numbers, and had to use the smallest reason to decline people.
    Chin up and wait! Was that your first interview?