1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Serious shock and horror as viewing numbers at BBC news plummet.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Sep 23, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I'm not convinced it's because of bias - they are frequently accused of being both too both too left wing and also too right wing. It depends where you stand personally I think. They don't always get it right, but in general it's ok.

It may just be that for some people, like myself, the news is just too stressful at the moment. I can't actually watch or listen to Johnson - he sends my blood pressure through the roof. So I might watch the headlines but I find it easier to read the news online, rather than see and hear it in glorious colour.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I usually find that an extra leaf in my rough shag enables this phenomenon.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Synaesthesia? :D

Burndenpark and ROSIEGIRL like this.
  5. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

The report said that the rise in use of the iPlayer, which recorded 4.8 billion requests last year, nearly made up the fall in viewing for traditional TV channels.
    ... Overall, adults still spend more time with the BBC than any other media brand, the report found. 70 per cent of adults believe the BBC is effective at delivering its public purposes.

From the OP’s first source.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The onset of autumn should greatly enhance your rough shag options. :)

[​IMG]

Kandahar, emerald52 and lanokia like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

frodo_magic - Telling those lefties how it is since Sep 2, 2017

9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Now it’s cold and damp the OP will have to leave his favourite place under the bridge to go to winter quarters.

10. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Someone was telling me how if he looked at white paper it would split into rainbow colours.

I mentioned this to autistic Alex and he came out with the term synaesthesia. It seems he has it too.

He is at the local magistrates court at the moment.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

What was his mode of transport?

ajrowing and magic surf bus like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This is not synaesthesia. Sounds like a sight problem.

Synaesthesia is a neurological trait or condition that results in a joining or merging of senses that are not normally connected. The stimulation of one sense causes an involuntary reaction in one or more of the other different senses. For example, someone with synaesthesia may hear colour or see sound.

If someone looks at white paper and tastes anchovies (assuming he/she has not eaten any) then that would be synaesthesia.

Why do you think I might be interested?

Burndenpark likes this.
  13. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

There's also a school of thought that says there's a spectrum with most people having it to some extent- most commonly for shape and sound.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect

nomad likes this.
  14. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You have to wonder where the OP found the story don't you.

@frodo_magic does that explain the drop in newspaper sales too?

15. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

One of the commoner effects of synaesthesia among musicians is experiencing different keys as having colours. I "see" sharp major keys as being in a range of brighter colours, whereas flat keys come in a variety of subdued earth tones. I know as I write this that it sounds pretentious but this is a real thing - my wife and all my children experience a form of it too. This is quite distinct from the usual associations whereby minor keys are heard as sadder or more introspective than major ones - that's to do with mood, not colour.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Which rough shag?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Flat Earth tones.

18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

May be a question better asked in Dunty's Dungeon. ;)

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No way I would go in there without SAS backing.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm sure you could get that in there. ;)