1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Serious foul-up on A Level mathematics exam

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, May 27, 2011.

1. DM

DM New commenter

You have demonstrated that you don't actually understand how the A* award in mathematics GCE is awarded ITIQ. It is not necessary to obtain an average of 90 or obtain 90 or more on both C3 and C4. In fact it is possible to get an A* with a mean mark of 80 and 80 in either C3 or C4.
    I have seen various university offers that have specified requirements on particular modules. Failure to attain 90 (or even 95 UMS) on individual modules may mean the student is not selected for interview, not given an offer or (in the case of Cambridge) left swimming in the Winter Pool.

2. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

DM You don't seem to know what is needed for an A*.
    An average of 80 for overall and 90 in both the A2 units [e.g. both C3 and C4] to get an A* grade.
    You DM do not actually understand how the A* is awarded.
    No you can't get an A* with 80 in C3 or 80 in C4 if they are you A2 units.
    Just to be precise it is 180 out of 200 UMS for the 2 A2 units.
    Unless you were being pedantic DM.

And which universities are asking for more than A* criteria? [by your definition as well as mine]

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Sorry, I don't know. Most of my students are off to Canadaian uni's this year.

4. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Ok, let's make it easy to understand. And looking at the examples, realise just what nonsense A star grades are!

http://www.edexcel.com/results/Pages/A-star-maths.aspx

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

We now get an edtit button, how exciting

6. DM

DM New commenter

Please don't be rude and argumentative if you don't have a clue what you are talking about afterdark. It is beyond tiresome.
    My post was entirely correct.
    This example would secure an A*:
    C1 75
    C2 75
    C3 80
    C4 100
    M1 75
    S1 75
    Mean mark 80 <u>as I said</u>, 90 not required in BOTH C3 and C4 <u>as I said</u>.
    Every university with a STEP offer requires "more than A* criteria".
    If you were bothered, you could easily look this things up for yourself.

7. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I assumed it was irony. Or maybe sarcasm. Or something. Definitely done on purpose, though.
    Anyway - it made me smile!

8. Yeah I guess so [​IMG]

9. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Dm post
    I rather perverse scenario where the student get 100% on the C3 <u>OR</u> C4.
    So a sentence written to deliberately mislead.

This is far cry from
    Yes they require you sit STEP exams like Cambridge.
    I find this rather <u>pedantic </u>and you are deliberately juxtaposing different things to mislead.
    You are one being argumentative.

Now <u>YOU</u> are being rude.

10. Alternatively he is making a similar to point I was in your thread in general that I had to step away from as it was so misguided,
    I havent checked back to read it as I realised there was no point debating the issue as you were googling your answers rather than really grasping the crux discussion.
    I appreciate as a non specialit you may not understand the ins and outs but at that satge I believe you step back and accept its not something you are expeienced in.

11. DM

DM New commenter

I haven't got a clue what you are talking about now afterdark but I note no apology was forthcoming.
    Your thread on Opinion suggests you are on a mission to sneer at students and their poor capabilities and will not be swayed from that path so, like Betamale, I will bow out of this thread.

12. It's barely worth getting involved here is it?

But anyway - I'm certainly aware of people being asked their module marks at interview, and being set targets that include specific module marks - particularly if they're wanting to go for a subject which doesn't perfectly match their chosen A-levels.

The 'entry requirements' on the website are just a rough guide - offers will be made both under and over those stated requirements.

But the overall point remains the same - if you need very high grades in all your modules you'd be nuts to just abandon an 11% question in favour of checking through your working.

13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

You have repeatedly been very rude with your comments about not having a clue. Perhaps you cannot express something but instead turn to using personal insults.
    What universities are offering places subject to getting over 90 UMS on all modules?
    You persist in not addressing points raised nor answering the questions asked. I can only assume that you do not have answers.
    My thread on Opinion might suggest sneering to you but would be because you judge others by what you do. 'Poor capabilities' are your words not mine. I have constantly tried to stick my point about students claims representing disproportionate amount of time lost and the obvious poor exam technique that this represents. You persist in finding contrived explanations and examples to support such claims.
    Try not to confuse this with support for the appalling errors on the part of the exam boards. Their errors are indefensible as your support for wild and outlandish claims of students.
    To be frank your obnoxiousness towards me, and selected others, is quite staggering. To cap it all you expect me to apologise, how bizarre.

14. DM

DM New commenter

afterdark,
    I thought you might apologise as you repeatedly asserted that I do not understand how A* was allocated when my post (which, incidentally, was not even addressed to you) was entirely correct. I try hard to make sure all my posts on matters of fact (rather than opinion) on this forum are always completely accurate. I'm sorry I was short with you in return.
    To my recollection, a number of people have now patiently explained that leading universities sometimes specify particular module marks in their offers and also use this information to select applicants for interview. Please just accept our collective word for this as no-one is going to photocopy university offers and send them to you to prove a point.
    DM

15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Thank you. I have never meant to decry the students and their work.
    I have only asked for an example. I have not asked you to photocopy anything, I just wanted the name of at least one institution that does it. I take it from from your reply that these offers are in the form of a singular person specific letter to one candidate only where the establishment indicates not only A* but goes further to require specific minimum grades in specific units.
    I take it you are trying to get students into Universities like Durham, Cambridge and so on.
    It is not clear from their webpages that they are specifying UMS 90 in future exams. It is clear that they are vastly oversubscribed. Bristol [in the UK top 20] quote 40% of A level math students geting an A grade.
    Perhaps you folks don't realise how impatient and angry you sometimes sound.
    Given the pressure cooker of education that teaching in the UK has become, it is perhaps not that surprising to find teachers have steam coming out of their ears.
    [post 83] I know the average is 80 for an A. The 90 was a typo done on my laptop [no numpad].
    sometimes it seems like you choose to mislead by way you write. I initially misread your posts about an overall average and then getting 80 on C3 or C4.
    The criteria for an A* is rather bizarre
    the edexcel website gives some examples for A level maths
    which include:
    C1 = 70, C2 = 70, C3 = 93, C4 = 94, M1 = 77, S1 = 78 &ndash; total = 482 UMS, grade A* awarded

C1 = 95, C2 = 98, C3 = 92, C4 = 87, D1 = 87, D2 = 89 &ndash; total = 548 UMS, grade A awarded
    ' grade. Seems a little bonkers to me but then there you go. To me getting an A* grade doesn't mean you are better than A candidate in this case. I do think the second case is more likely than the first. Of course sometimes students wake/grow up in their second year of A level study and get themselves into gear.
    This does, however suggest good reason why universities might feel the need to override the grading system by demanding the individual UMS scores, I know Durham do this.
    Going on A* grades alone would lead to universities missing out on 'stronger' candidates due to the very structure of the module system.
    Was this something that you were trying to avoid people?
    Well I hope for some sanity and clarity in August.
    I hope that all of you can temporarily put this exam board debacle aside. It easier for me say than for you to do it, I know.
    I really feel the need to reiterate something I posted in opinion forum.
    I hope those students who sat exams with errors on and who spent their
    time wisely and paced themselves accordingly get the grade that they <u>deserve</u> first and in preference to all others.
    Perhaps I should go further I hope universities use this event to award places to those that deserve them the most.
    DM we obviously see the exam technique thing very differently. You seem to take any contradiction as a great slur. I am sorry my posts offend you, I wish you and every other teacher the very best of luck in getting your students the best deal you can get them out of this sorry mess.
    [​IMG]

16. DM

DM New commenter

A much more measured response afterdark. I'm not offended by your posts. I find you brusque sometimes but that's my problem and I'll get over it.
    I can't remember every university that has specified particular module marks in the past but I would not be surprised to find Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Durham etc on the list.

17. Before the A*, it was fairly common to find people on TSR with Imperial offers that requiring many (or even all) maths modules to be at least 90 UMS (and no retakes) - to the point where that was effectively the "standard offer".
    Ironically the new Imperial offers involving A* grades are effectively lower than than they used to be.

18. DM

DM New commenter

Haven't noticed you on TSR at all recently DF. Are you too busy or just taking a break from it?

19. DM

DM New commenter

Ignore that - I just did a search and our paths have obviously just not crossed recently.