1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Septic tank, anyone?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Good afternoon, the house I am thinking of buying has, I have just realised, a septic tank. My Mum and Dad had one years ago (!958!) and my Dad has been telling me dire stories about it. From reading up about it though, I think it might be OK; it seems that you can get a standing order with the council who will then come out annually to sort it, cost being just over £100, which isn't ridiculous.
    If anyone has any personal experience, good or bad, I would be grateful please. I am under a bit of pressure to complete early if I go for it (but I still haven't decided ).
    Many thanks

2. Good afternoon, the house I am thinking of buying has, I have just realised, a septic tank. My Mum and Dad had one years ago (!958!) and my Dad has been telling me dire stories about it. From reading up about it though, I think it might be OK; it seems that you can get a standing order with the council who will then come out annually to sort it, cost being just over £100, which isn't ridiculous.
    If anyone has any personal experience, good or bad, I would be grateful please. I am under a bit of pressure to complete early if I go for it (but I still haven't decided ).
    Many thanks

3. They are quite usual round here. They are a nightmare if they get blocked or a leaky pipe appears but if in good condition and well maintained they are no problem.

4. I thought that this was another real ale thread. I was just going to say, thank you, I'll have a pint of Septic Tank with you.

5. I wouldn't let it stop me buying a house.
    I have one (rented house) and we get it emptied every 2 years. No-one round here is on mains sewerage and no one seems to have much of a problem at all if they have the tanks properly installed and regularly emptied!
    Dad's did collapse, he was stood on it at the time and was mentally scarred for quite some time. But that was because he was showing dumba.ss neighbour that his having diverted a little stream was filling dad's tank and making it unstable...... neighbour was also drowned in muck and was extremely swift to fill out the paperwork for the insurance and move the stream back through his own garden!
    Check the age of the tank and ask if there are any problems - in writing!!! Should be fine!

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

oh that has given me a much needed laugh......I love it lol
    almost as funny as the boys emptying soil cans falling into the cess pit lol

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Local councils are currently looking to raise all the things they can for 2011-2012. Burials etc. I would find out what the costs will be from April.

8. Burying someone in a septic tank? That's just sick!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

10. Blaster Bates used to be the bloke to employ when clearing out septic tanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwven0Rt94

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Haven't had mains drainage for over 20 years in 6 different houses. Never had a problem.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Keep moving then - that seems to be the answer.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No wonder you always want to meet us next to a canal!

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

15. Wow, thanks so much for those responses. Having just read a book where someone sadly (and more unpleasantly than usual) drowned in one I was a bit worried. Not just that, the horror stories from my Dad didn't help. There are only two houses on this side of the road, and I imagine that neither of them are connected to mains drainage.
    THanks again,
    Gorgy