1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BertieBassett2, Aug 5, 2020.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

This morning I received an email from my agency posing these questions:

-Will you be available for 2 week blocks in the event that a school has a member of their team staff shielding?(this could include up to 5 days each week)

-Schools have allocated budgets for Intervention catch up plans for both Academics and Mental well being. That being said, can you list a particular set of skills you have experience with?(i.e Phonics/Literacy or Maths/English, Y2/Y6 SATS exp, SEMH or mental health experience)

-Considering the question above what would your availability be for block bookings to help with catch up?(2weeks-2 terms)

-If we were put in the predicament of having schools close their doors again, do you believe you will be able to teach remotely VIA online our online platform BRAMBLE(please youtube to get yourself familiar before you rule it out!) IF so do you have the necessary equipment to do so(laptop, tablet)

-Last but certainly not least. In the event that COVID may begin to creep up throughout Autumn and schools need to lean on agency staff to keep the children's learning on track, are you comfortable going into 1 or more schools?

I have no idea how to respond to this, but the last point concerns me most. What are your thoughts, please?

2. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

Lots of schools have already ruled out use of agency staff

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mostly because they can't afford it.

4. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I think supply will be in demand, but the idea of working in different schools may cease and instead you will be assigned to one or two particular schools only, so supply may operate in some form of bubble.

Jolly_Roger15 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

My thoughts are that schools will reduce having temporary external supply teachers and temporary support to protect their bubbles at all costs. 2 week blocks sounds unlikely to me for example.

Schools may increase their online learning support.

pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  6. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

One of my agencies sent me a link to an online teaching/tutoring service they have set up - better late than never- so some I guess may work through this.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  7. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Nasty party announcement
    NEU announcement
    Nasty party announcement
    NEU announcement
    etc
    etc
    etc

Lots of hardworking staff trying to make sense out of legislation.

STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!!!!!!!

Everyone carry on being off on full pay. We'll go for the whole year holibobs.

Add in the second wave, virus chaos, death horror misery of corona explosion, hospitals piled high with bodies, running out of oxygen bottles. Lockdown mayhem, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIIIIE.

We are not going back to school. Plus the end of furlough will probably put the economy back 500 years.

8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Slightly negative, perhaps? :D:D

tonymars and MathMan1 like this.
  9. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

SSRIs might help with that.

tonymars and MathMan1 like this.
  10. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

My agency is talking multi school bubbles. I can see this working with some academy trusts, but not between different chains...

I was expecting zero work but now I wonder if there will be a boom in demand ...at Cover Supervisor rates...

BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  11. pamela1mendham

pamela1mendham New commenter

12. pamela1mendham

Hi
    Could anyone advise? If there's little or no work in September/October can we supply teachers not on furlough, apply for universal credit, even though registered with an agency? Reason - loss of earnings due to coronavirus. Grateful for response.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I seriously doubt it - but I'm sure someone will know for sure.

agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  14. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Schools have been told to use agency staff if they need to therefore they will if they have to. If a teacher is off sick, they have no option other than to cover it. If s teacher is off sick and a class is isolating, work will still need to be provided, delivered and marked online so even in this case, supply would be used if the school couldn't cover it internally.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Pamela, Yes you can claim UC and even you are on furlough you can claim it, they just take 63% of your furlough pay off you. It is the same with working, they take 63% of your earnings declared to the tax office by the agencies/umbrella companies and if it is under the amount due, you will receive the difference. If you earn over the amount then your claim is suspended, but you can do a rapid claim within 6 months, if you tails off.

16. steviepal

I'm on UC and furloughed.
    I get all my furlough cash but nowt from UC as I'm 'earning' too much. I do get free prescriptions etc and if the furlough had stopped in August I'd have got UC money.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. pamela1mendham

Many thanks for the very useful advice on UC. I'm hoping that there will be a demand for supply teachers in September on... I'm in Early Primary and know some schools are very protective of their bubbles involving little children, so will just have to wait and see.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I still haven't replied to my agency! I really don't know what to make of it. I expect they'll ring me nearer the time and check my availability. I think I'll be happy to work in just one or two schools and I've decided to take no more morning calls. Watch this space!

pepper5 likes this.
  19. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I am told by my friend that schools are back on the 7th and the 9th, apparently.

Really?!??!?!

pepper5 likes this.
  20. steviepal

Back on the 3rd in Sheffield