1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September start!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by evilpixie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. After 5 failed interviews I've today secured myself a job! Yes very last minute!

It's a 1 term contract which will probably be 1 yr. I'll be doing OCT mainly at KS3 - timetable to be finalised by Friday. Possibly a Yr 7 form tutor too.

So now what? I know I have an Inset day on the 5th Sept but do I get/ask for stuff before? Should I have any schemes of work or lesson plans or structures or help!
    I'm sure I should be doing something but not sure what. KS4 stuff is OK because once I know what OCR Units I'm doing I can get the spec to look at.
    I'm really pleased and just a tiny bit scared so all advice very much welcome

Thanks

Kim

2. After 5 failed interviews I've today secured myself a job! Yes very last minute!

It's a 1 term contract which will probably be 1 yr. I'll be doing OCT mainly at KS3 - timetable to be finalised by Friday. Possibly a Yr 7 form tutor too.

So now what? I know I have an Inset day on the 5th Sept but do I get/ask for stuff before? Should I have any schemes of work or lesson plans or structures or help!
    I'm sure I should be doing something but not sure what. KS4 stuff is OK because once I know what OCR Units I'm doing I can get the spec to look at.
    I'm really pleased and just a tiny bit scared so all advice very much welcome

Thanks

Kim

3. Congratulations!!
    I asked to come in and speak with the department about various things, including schemes of work, getting an idea of equipment/resources, blah blah blah - the usual things! I was also introduced to my form group, and the form tutor has even given me a register with a list of notes beside each pupil to help ease the transition.
    If it's not possible to get into school before the end of term, ask if it is possible to come in a few days before.
    Otherwise - I would say enjoy the summer holidays!!

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Ring your HoD and arrange to go into school before term ends. I'm sure they'll be expecting you to call but if you need to explain, just say you'd like a chat about September so you'll know what you'll be doing. Get the programme for the inset day and arrange some time with your HoD or mentor in the department to ensure you're happy. This week you need to know what you'll be teaching and to which classes. Find out what plans are in place. If there are none, plan for the first few lessons and an outline of the half term. Don't do too much in case things change. That's all you need really. As you think of things, note them down. For example, behaviour policy, assessment routines etc. Then find out one thing at a time in September. If the school website has a calendar, you'll be able to see what the first week looks like. You may be able to get a school login too, but you may have to wait until Sept for that.

5. Thanks,
    School finishes on Friday (half day) and I can't get back before then ... I was told I would be doing mainly KS3 and what OCR Units for KS4 but no class details. Oh and software to look at too.
    Then it was "you'll have things sent".
    It's not certain yet if I will get a form, if so it will be year 7. There is also 1 day inset before school starts "that will be sent out".
    I'll e-mail the HoD ....