1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September settling in days...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MrsMusgrove, May 6, 2017.

1. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

Hi,
    I'm just looking for ideas/alternative suggestions on how other reception teachers organise their settling in days in September.
    We are 2 form entry and have a p/t nursery attached so about 2/3 of the children are moving up from nursery.
    When do you do home visits for non-nursery children? July or Sept?
    Do you stagger entry or do all children just start full time from day 1?
    Previously we have done home visits in July. In Sept, start days have been staggered with all class together having an 11am finish then 12, then staying for lunch then full days from day 4.
    Open to new/alternative ways!
    Thank you

Teachallover likes this.
  2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I used to work in school with similar numbers to yours.
    We did home visits for new children in July then all children came for either mornings or afternoons for the first two weeks. then everyone did whole days from the third week. Worked well and gave all children a chance to be part of a small group.

Some parents grumbled as those working then had to organise child care for the half of the day when children weren't in but heigh-ho you can't please everyone!!

Teachallover likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My current school does it similarly to yours - all the class start together for a reduced length day. We extend the length of the day depending on the child and how they're coping. The majority of children stay for the full day by the end of the second week. We explain the approximate timetable for the settling period to parents in advance, so parents know they're looking at a maximum of two weeks' extra childcare unless their child is struggling.