1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September Salary

Discussion in 'Independent' started by florian gassmann, Jun 29, 2011.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't know how common it is, but it doesn't sound like good practice. In every independent school in which I worked, updated salary scales were published in the January before the September in which they came into effect.
    Small prep schools, perhaps struggling with finances in the current climate, are a different matter, though. I'd ask your longer-serving colleagues if this is normal at the school concerned. On the face of it, it sounds as though they are waiting to see how many pupils are still signed-up for next term before committing themselves to salaries. If this is not standard practice at the school concerned, it would ring warning bells of possible financial difficulties for me.

2. Thanks for this Florian.
    I am concerned and others in my school have told me that they usually know by now what their salary is for the next year. This is the first time the pay scale has been adjusted for years and the first time under the new governance. The whole situation just seems very slightly strange, but guess there is nothing we can do!