1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September learning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Itsme22, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

Hi
    What is everyone planning for September? Settling in activities? Normal lessons?
    Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Think ours will be a mixture of the two, but very quickly back to normal lessons (within a fortnight). We'll find out more at our inset next Monday.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Nothing academic In first week! Routines and getting used to being back is priority. Some children will be feral and need time to settle. We also need to get a feel for what they’ve learnt or forgotten during lockdown. No formal assessments though as that would just be unkind.
    Take it a day at a time!

4. TeachtoLearnMore

TeachtoLearnMore New commenter

I second this completely. I'm giving my kids a bigger break than usual when we start class again in September. I'm prepping games and get-to-know-you and SEL activities with the free online tool Genially (https://genial.ly/) for creating interactive learning materials. I use it to make presentations, interactive images, games and fun quizzes and add animation effects to them. I used to plan most of my class activities thinking we'd be in-person for sure, but I'm taking the time to create more digital materials this year in case we go back into lockdown.

celago22 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have been fully open for a few weeks and even when just the first year groups came back they gave the message they wanted routine loud and clear!
    We had planned all kinds of settling back and reassuring type activities, but they just kept asking about phonics and 'work'.
    So in September a good amount of routine and 'normality' is what we will be doing.

sunshineneeded and SummerSkies like this.
  6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Routine, routine and routine. A return to a microcosm where statements from authority mean something.

SummerSkies likes this.
  7. SummerSkies

SummerSkies New commenter

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just get on as normal. Get a baseline done as you would any year and take them from where they are (not where you think they should be). Children love routine.

8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Don’t you think that each of us will need to deal with our own classes in the way that they need. No two classes will be the same. just hope all the SLT realise that!

9. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Just checked out the genial.ly website. I have not come across it before but I've signed up and it looks good. Thank you for recommending it!!

10. numbersense

numbersense New commenter

A few days of 'settling in' - routines, expectations, etc, plenty of well-being and generally steady pace, then back to normal routine (this is what the early returners wanted most of all and behaviour was visibly better when the day was more structured).