1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

September INSET - starting on the right foot!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bluelamb, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

Just starting to plan the first day (INSET) in September.
    Would anyone mind sharing the kinds of activities they did to get staff back in work mode? I'm planning on giving an overview of where we are as a school at some point in the morning but the thought of me launching into a speech at 9am on Monday doesn't feel too appropriate.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Depends on how long you have been there, the priorities and so much else. No-one can really tell you without any more detail. IMHO

Northhead likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you'll find they will be in work mode without you having to do some kind of activity. If you really think they won't, then swap things around to have time in classrooms in the morning and CPD/business bits in the afternoon. That way they'll get back in work mode by sorting out the important stuff and they bits that are enjoyable.

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

A quick welcome back and a list of anything they might need to know-then just trusting them to get on in departments/as individuals seems sensible. That's what we always did-then after I'd left that post, I was told that some bloke who had done next to no teaching decided that wasting teachers' time with data analysis/long pointless speeches and activities would be a good idea...and all the decent staff who were left, er..left...
    This is why I shouldn't drink during the evening!

nomad likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You could meet at 9.00 for 15mins to give out the plan for the day then leave them to get on with their own priorities as @caterpillartobutterfly and @hhhh say. Back together at 1.30 to speak to them briefly about the year ahead. You could spend a short time gathering the staff's views on what CPD they would appreciate in the next year with the intention of incorporating at least a few of their priorities into the INSET programme . Then let them finish off in their rooms and go home when they're ready.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Start off with a coffee, croissants and comparing sun tans and holiday snaps session for 30 minutes (teachers will do that regardless), followed by 30 minutes of admin such as termly calendar, duties, new pupils, new staff, etc. Follow that with something practical and useful and then allow classroom preparation.

I found that the best thing for INSET days was to arrange something of practical use or legally required such as Epipen or safeguarding training or training on the use of Target Tracker/Learning Ladders or whatever.

Staff will feel that they have actually achieved something during the day.

Leave the inspiring (or not) videos and data crunching for a staff meeting when there is little else going on.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

cook them breakfast

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I hope you mean something along the one of bacon rolls rather than a Full English.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Either would do me! :D

Our HT and Dh eat very healthily though, so we'd probably end up with chia seed porridge made with oat milk or some such! :rolleyes: (Well ok, not quite, but it definitely wouldn't be anything deliciously unhealthy!)

nomad likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax

can't you cook?

I once had a head who cooked the staff a full English breakfast at the start of every year.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes, I can. Thank you. Can you?

Then perhaps he/she should have chosen to be a short-order chef rather than a head. The governors probably questioned whether this was the best use of the head's time.

12. Corvuscorax

no, they don't, not in the slightest, if they are present, they also have breakfast. I happend to be a governor in that school!He didn't do it alone, anyway, the SMT helped. I don't think this is particularly unusual, I've been in at least 3 schools where this has happened. I actually think its really nice for the managers to cook breakfast for the staff on the first day of term

13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Nomad, I was just thinking similar thoughts. As head, I had organised Inset catering, shopped for some buffet food, suggested off site lunches or just warned everyone that there wouldn’t be catering some years. There was always plenty to do with plans for the year, safeguarding training or other important training. I always tried to give staff some time in their classrooms but the purpose of the days was primarily staff training. Definitely not for me to practice my cooking. However, I agree that sharing food is a sociable start to the year.

nomad likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As do I and in a similar manner in have, as head, made sure that staff are adequately fed at no expense to them on training days.

I did, however, find the "can't you cook?" comment from @Corvuscorax to be surprisingly blunt and rude (not the sort of diplomacy I would expect from a governor).

In any event, whether I cook or not (and I do) is incidental not that I have retired.