1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seperating twins!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 18, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a pair of twins in my year 6 class and they are just fine together. They want to be in the same form class in secondary, though accept they may not have all lessons together. The mother is keen for them to stay together as long as they wish to and we can see no reason to keep them apart. They each have their own identity and set of friends.

If you ask for the ed psych's recommendation then it would be a good idea to follow it, if it agrees with your professional judgement. However moving any child part way through the year will cause problems for the one you move. How will you decide which one stays and which one goes? What about continuity of learning so near to Sats? Are things so bad that it is worth the upheaval and distress for such a short time?

Only your school can decide what is right for those children.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

I am a twin. When I was at primary school we were always classed as a pair, not individuals, and it drove me mad. At secondary school we were separated and encouraged to take different subjects which reflected our interests and individual personalities. It was a breath of fresh air. We both attended the same college but didn't see each other from the time we left the house until we got home.
    We were, and are, very close but have been allowed to develop as individuals
    I have to add that my parents were very determined that we develop our own personalities and interests. We were not made to wear the same clothes, have the same friends or attend the same after school clubs even though this made life difficult at times( although if we wanted to that too was fine).
    The way parents deal with twins can also have an effect and they may be stifling individuality and separation without realising it.
    Not advice really, just my retrospective thoughts. [​IMG]

3. I'm a twin and was separated in school when I was in year 2. I'm surprised that they haven't been separated earlier to be honest - year 6 really!? Although saying that when I was in secondary school identical twins were in the same class till year 11- and by the way they are individuals and normal social people. When I was separated the headteacher spoke to us and focused on the positives of being in different classes. Like we'd have lots of different interesting lessons and experiences and then can share it with each other at break time/ home time. Headteacher spoke separately to my parents too. I think as long as everyting is explained properly to the twins involved then it should be fine. There so much I could rant on for ages about this but I won't bore you.

4. Just to add that when we were separated at school there was no big issues - crying and asking for each other. For me it was a positive experience.
    Why do parents like to dress twins the same anyway - No it's not cute. (Sorry not relevant.)

5. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I feel mean now, as we separate twins from year 1 onwards! It's part of the reason we have parallel mixed age classes in our school. We always put siblings, cousins, step-families etc in separate classes. I have twins in my F2 class and it's interesting that they have very little to do with each other at school, yet Mum says they are very reliant on each other at home.

6. My school kept them together - they seemed to always end up in my class for some reason! I've got twin cousins of my own, and twins run in our family (I miscarried a pair myself last year) so I know full-well the pitfalls of treating them as "the twins" rather than as two separate individuals... to the point that, apart from the occasional muddled identity with identicals (usually when addressing the back of a head not doing what it should be) that you kind of can let someone off with - I tended to forget they were twins after a week or so anyway! Had pairs who've been close and you had to watch or they'd try to duo their way into mischief and tie you up in knots with explanations bouncing blame to and from each other and had pairs where they were complete polar opposites of each other and had very little to do with each other during the school day - same as with normal siblings and kids in general.
    My cousins were separated throughout school - I think it depends on the kids. It benefitted my cousins but mainly because their mother would buy them identical presents, dress them identically and not let them have any individual identity at all.
    The only time I really dealt with them as a pair was during parents evening where I'd book a double-length appointment to discuss both children together - again, seemed the logical way around it.
    On supply I quite often chug along all day completely oblivious to the fact there are identical twins in the class - if they're sat on separate tables it just doesn't register usually (I tend to be oblivious to stuff at the best of times)!

7. I love how everyone in their answer has modelled the correct spelling of separate :)
    Also, the topic has reminded me of my final teaching practise when I had reception (as was) with twin girls (dressed identically) who had never been out of each other's sight. They wailed, wound their fingers round each other's very long hair and spoke something which was passed off as their own special language but actually showed huge developmental delay.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Normal practice, I'd have thought to separate. (Further spelling modelling!)
    My own twins were separated into different classes fairly early on in Primary because the one seemed to be achieving less than she could through seeing her sister apparently being superior. Did them both the world of good.

9. Thanks everyone. That was really useful

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It depends on the twins really. Some are very much their own person from a young age and others can be very dependent on each other. I think it becomes a problem if one clings/depends on the other. I taught one set of twins but one did both sets of work while the other looked on. When they were separated she found another child willing to take on her twins role.

11. My twins spent their whole time at primary school in the same class, with no major problems, they worked in separate groups, had different friends, with some overlap and were reassured by each others presence. They requested separate forms at secondary school and have enjoyed the chance to spread their wings. Separation really depends on the twins, each set is different and they need to be treated as such. I refused to send my girls to a local nursery as they automatically split twins without reference to the parents (or childrens) wishes. A big problem however of separation during year6 is moving one without them feeling they are being punished. Are you separating one individual from their friends and familar classrooms and routine as well as their twin? I would think very carefully about a degree of partial separation rather than a sudden isolation. I have taught several sets of twins and their response to separation varies greatly, for some it is incredibly traumatic, and whilst all children should be treated as individuals we should recognise and respect the special bond that many twins have.

12. As a twin who has always been close to their twin, I would agree with other twins posting so far that it is for the best to separate them, but gradually. The twins will probably define themselves in relation to the other - e.g 'I'm the one that is clever in maths, my twin is the sporty one' or 'we're both the same at French' or 'she's the one that makes friends for us'.
    I was separate from my twin from Year 1, and we both found it hard at different times but on the whole we were very happy in different classes. Our cIasses were re-mixed in Year six and they put my best friend with her - she then became my sisters best friend which was awful! I also felt depressed and abandoned when she went on her six-month gap year without me, and that was at age 18! At secondary school we were in some of the same classes, and it felt so competitive - as if the teachers we always discussing who was cleverer. I didn't do so well when I was with her. Everyone's different and one way won't be best for everyone, but how can they discover who they are without comparing themselves to each other if they are never given the chance?

13. One other thing - would any of you 'non twins' want to spend ALL you time with your brother or sister? Remember how much time the twins will spend together at home. The older you get, the more space you need, right?

14. Last year in year 6 we had 2 sets of twins and a set of triplet. One set of twins together, one set separated and the triplets two in one class and one in the other. All fine, infact the ones who had most difficulty were the twins kept together!!

15. At my scool we always separate twins from the time they start school and we have never had a problem. They are individuals so why should they always be together?

16. At my scool we always separate twins from the time they start school and we have never had a problem. They are individuals so why should they always be together?

17. My current school is a small village school with mixed year groups we therefore have no way to separate twins, triplets and siblings who are in consecutive school years. Whilst this is not always ideal, treating the children as individuals is not reliant on them being in different classes.

18. Good point.