1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Separate vs combined

Discussion in 'Science' started by mrandmrsscience, Jan 19, 2020.

1. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

My school has decided that separate students can sit a separate paper 1 and combined paper 2 and thinks they are comparable. Am I being totally stupid to think they are not? They have scored higher on paper 2 which I explained is due to its being ‘easier’ and have been told this is not the case. Any thoughts?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

They are not easier, just narrower

I presume you mean for mocks, not for the actual GCSE! they won't be allowed to mix and match!

If they didn't know they were setting the combined paper, then its fair comparison, I should think. If they did know, then it would not be a fair comparison, as they would have learnt less of the specification than they will actually need to

3. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

Yes obviously mocks!

4. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

The papers shouldn’t be easier statistically speaking. Whether it’s a good reflection of Triple given it misses out everything that makes Triple different is another question! Which then would worry me that they’re not practicing the key areas depending on the purpose of the mock!

5. mfoley1404

mfoley1404 New commenter

What is the exam board? With edexcel the separate Higher students - seperate students complete the same paper as the combined however they have 4 extra questions to complete. These can be anywhere in the paper. This can be the extra content to the specification or it could still be combined content.
    We have taken the 4 questions out before to compare the students to the higher combined students. We find our students do better on paper 2 as normally this is covering content taught recently.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

If you had done the reverse it would probably have been better (simply as there is far more Triple only content on paper 2). Equally, I would say that the combined papers (for AQA) are at least as challenging as the separate papers and often are harder

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter