1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seoul Salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LiveToWin, Oct 26, 2020.

1. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

Hi,

Quick question for those with up to date knowledge, please:

What is the "typical" salary for a main scale secondary teacher with no extra responsibilities in Seoul, and is it sufficient to live a reasonably comfortable life for a couple with one member not working, please? Would be living in the city centre, probably south of the river.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. benji321

benji321 New commenter

Hi there,
    I'm currently in my third year in Seoul at one of the "big" International Schools. I think a quick Google search of "International Schools Seoul" gives you a list of the major ones. I believe there are huge quantities (I've heard first hand from others) of others that are a little shady to say the least...
    - I'm not wanting to sound arrogant with the "big" here - I mean pupil size, longevity, salary, reputation etc.
    Search Associates if you are a member gives a breakdown of salaries and saving expectations.
    20,000-25,000USD is the stated salary saving expectations for a single teacher for most of these schools. Doable I think but consider that Seoul is very expensive, housing is the same and you pay much more for western treats than you do in HCMC or Bangkok
    Housing is provided by our school but it is small (apparently decent size for the area though) and we are obviously surrounded by colleagues - don't like this myself and is definitely something to question in interview or later.
    We are quite a way outside the centre so I cant say what rent is like there but I know a couple of schools give a decent rent allowance and a couple of others give you accommodation on site.

Hope that is some use

3. LiveToWin

Hello, Benji,

Thank you for your reply, which is very helpful. The school I am interested in supplies housing so I was particularly wondering about the cash part of the typical package, so your figures give me a reasonable idea. I'm not registered with Search.

If you had any information on how much of that would be taken in tax, that would also be very useful.

Many thanks,

LTW

4. benji321

benji321 New commenter

Hi
    Our school pays the tax for us and so the salary doesn't reflect that at all. It was the same for our school in China. So I think it is up to the school. Some take the hit themselves and the package you are given is stated as "Tax Free" but that just means it wont come from your salary.

However, if you are not from UK (Canada, USA, Oz) you would get back your pension contributions when you leave.
    I wont.....

5. LiveToWin

That's useful to know, thanks. I am from the UK so I would also lose contributions, in that case.
    Even with housing and after tax, I reckon 25K US isn't exactly spectacular. I have visited Seoul a couple of times and you're right, it's not cheap.

It'll be interesting to see what they are offering, if I get to that stage!

Thanks,

LTW

6. benji321

benji321 New commenter

That's projected savings not salary.

7. benji321

benji321 New commenter

Best of Luck!

8. LiveToWin

Oh, OK, I misread your message. That's not bad, in that case.

Thank you very much for the information and wishes!

LTW