1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sentence starters

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yesness, Feb 7, 2009.

1. I am struggling with getting my year 6 class to be adventurous with the openings of their sentences. Has anyone got any great activities that would be useful to try and help the retention? Thanks

2. poet

poet New commenter

The most effective thing in my class has been little and often. Lots of activities that have complemented each other really. Make sure you 'steal' good openings from books you read in class and texts they come across - give them house points/reward system for finding great examples of openings and having them written on your working wall.

EDINGLY's are a great way of remembering how to vary your openings - words ending with ed/ing/ly -When we do the Big Write it's one of my reminders so they're always prompted to think about whether they can fit them in anywhere. I also stole a great idea from here - or possibly the andrell forum - Make a £10 sentence. I create a class price list (it will vary depending on what their needs are - mine need vocab so prices are high for that) including all the different things they should include in their sentence - you might want to have £2 for a great edingly used as an opening for example. Then write a simple sentence on the board that they have to uplevel and by adding all the extra bits - adjectives, adverbs, punctuaiton, sub clause, etc.etc. they try and create the most expensive sentence - which again goes on the working wall.

Hope this helps!

P

3. Have you looked on Andrell forum? Agree with previous poster re little and often being important. Juliateacher has a good set of sentence openers on Trinityeducational- think one idea would be to have these as table mats and on some pieces of work have them self assess for how many different types of sentence openers they have used

4. Thank you for informative reply.... I love the idea of the £10 sentence will def check that out. I agree little and often the key and you have directed me to finding and using some more ideas- thanks ever so much this is great!

5. (start sentence with a verb ending in ed)
    (start sentence with speech).

I have found it good and they like the challenge.

Hope this helps!

6. Re-posted as system made a mess of it!

7. <font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#800080" size="2">I give up! This site hasn't got any better :-(</font>

8. so annoying i keep popping back from Craigs site but still too slow and does wierd stuff