1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sentence Level Work - phases

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophs87, Mar 28, 2011.

1. I am currently a supply teacher but am doing a job share with a year 3 class. I have been wondering what sentence level / word / phonic work you should do with year 3 - like should they know and adjective, noun, verb etc or should they know this before? I do not really know what you should cover for each year. Looking on here I saw a discussion and phases were mentioned linked with sentence level work. Where do I find these?
    Really need help with this - been looking for weeks!
    Thank you in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends what the children need practice with.
    I would take in some photos/pictures & ask the children to brainstorn some sentences about them on whiteboards. Then look at some examples How could we as a class 'improve them'
    That should give you some idea of the ability of the class and you can plan from there, depending on what you think they need.

3. Thankyou :) was just wondering if there were specifics I needed to cover with them before they go into year 4?

4. Lara mfl 05

In the old National Literacy Strategy Framework there udes to be lists of what was supposed to be done in each year but there doesn't appear to be an online version these days(I've been looking myself recently)
    Nat. Strats has
    <h3>Learning objectives</h3><ul class="step_objectives">[*]Compose sentences using adjectives, verbs and nouns for precision, clarity and impac. Children focus on using verbs for effect,[*]Through supported composition, children contribute to choosing and using verbs carefully for precision and for their impact on their reader.
    [/LIST]Step 2 In guided writing. They focus on choosing vocabulary (nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs) for maximum impact on their reader as they compose sentences that introduce the first setting and main character(s).

Step 3 Writing independently, children apply what they know about sentence structure and vocabulary. They adapt sentence structure for effect.

If that's any help?

5. Lara mfl 05

Sorry forgot
    <h3>Progression summary </h3>

Children begin to use subordinate clauses during Year 3 to explain why, using causal connectives (because, so). They use their growing vocabulary to make increasingly effective, precise and appropriate choices when composing sentences. The range of punctuation they use independently extends to include exclamation marks.