1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory writing in salt? For? Against?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Blue_dime, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

Hi all

This may seem a very bizarre question but thought this might be the best place to ask. I use lots of different media for sensory writing experiences (sand, cornflour gloop, paint, flour, foam etc) and have come across the idea of salt. Apparently it is easy to colour and to scent and so very multisensory but I do worry about the issue of children eating it. I mean I guess there is a risk with all of the media that I've mentioned and of course all activities would be closely supervised but the fact that it is salt and can be very harmful to young children worries me. Any experiences of this? Thoughts?

Many thanks x

2. craftyangel49

craftyangel49 New commenter

I used salt in Autumn term, I love it because it's very easy to colour and easy for children to see the marks they've made.

In terms of them eating it, yes that did happen to me. One of my kids took a dab on his finger and licked it. He found it so disgusting he never did it again, nor did any of the other children! Depending on the age, give them a bit of trust to be sensible and if it's problematic then take it away. And again, if it's appropriate for their age tell them why you're having to take the fun salt away, because they can't be trusted with it.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I suppose you could also think of it as another way of teaching them to keep their fingers out of their mouths!! Yuck!
    Supervised if necessary, then more independent.

4. May2

May2 Established commenter

I used it for mark making in Nursery from 3 and a half and I don't think any ate it. I coloured it a lovely lilac colour and it wash really popular. It's great for making patterns with a potato masher, lego bricks etc as well as writing patterns. It kept fine for the week too.

5. May2

You might need to be careful if any children suffer from eczema but otherwise it should be fine.

6. Camokidmommy

I'm going to ask a seriously daft question, so please laugh with me not at me!

After many years doing this job I've never actually used salt like this. So.....how do you colour the salt? Go on, chuckle away......:D

Hope no one eats it on Wednesday.

7. May2

I didn't laugh!.
    I only found the idea of using salt after probably 20 years in Nursery. It is probably best to put the salt in a large plastic bag then add a few drops of food colouring. Seal the bag and squish it around to mix in completely add more colouring if it is not coloured enough. It doesn't take a lot of colouring though.
    I found it really good for mark making as it kept its shape better than flour or sand or shaving foam. It seemed really inviting in a pretty colour, I had to play myself!

8. Camokidmommy

Thank you! :D

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Personally I would let them all have a tiny taste before you start the activity. Salt on its own generally isn't very tasty to children, so once they know what it tastes like, you are unlikely to catch any of them trying to sneak a lick!

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You use sand but worry about salt?

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

And foam!

12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

13. May2

14. Camokidmommy

Not managed to do yet, as trip led to kids wanting to do other things! How inconsiderate as I really wanted to explore salt! Don't work thu/fri so will be doing on Monday as few children still struggling with letter formation have big big bag of salt at the ready.....