1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory stories

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by boobette, Aug 27, 2019.

1. boobette

boobette New commenter

Does anyone have any tips on how to put together and adapt existing stories (resources, images, objects) for sensory stories?
    I am also trying to find a short book (about 20 minutes) that has characters with very different hairstyles to adapt paint brushes to and a story (not the Grufallo) where a character meets 4 animals/people to adapt some Russian dolls to.

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Not my field of expertise - I would be inclined towards using glove puppets or marionetes. My dad made me a mini stage with lights/curtains/ drop-in scenery and cardboard figures on sticks that was fun to play with. I always fancied going to one of the special films where you are given a scratch and sniff card to enhance the experience. If it was my personal challenge I would try to do Black Light Theatre ( see it in Prague or Port Aventurer(Spain) ).

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Have you checked out Jo Grace’s website? She has a lot of free advice on there including excellent leaflets you can download.
    http://www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk/
    Also Pete Wells website/ podcasts where he deconstructs his own sensory stories- which will give you lots of ideas of what you can do with your own or a ready written story.
    A lot depends on the age group and ability of your intended audience obviously, but I rarely think in terms of having an object to represent each character, more what I can offer to enable each listener to engage in the story- eg provide smells or sounds, textures and movements to enhance the setting and narrative

boobette likes this.