1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory stories

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by PatThomson, Jun 13, 2019.

1. PatThomson

PatThomson New commenter

This is a question for the PMLD teachers out there. I am a huge fan of sensory stories and use them for every subject. A teacher told me the other day she would do one every day if she could. Does everyone else think the same? Are they used as much today as they were when they were first developed. I’m asking because I’m writing up my little bit of research into getting attentiveness and anticipation from learners when telling a sensory story.

dzil likes this.
  2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Yes they are used a lot in PMLD and SLD and ASD teaching. Probably more than when they were first developed. Your colleague's comment is fairly common. Have you looked at the huge body of information and research about using sensory stories? Are you aware of the developmental stages that are commonly used when teaching various skills through sensory stories? (Loads of published documents)
    In particular I would recommend Jo Grace's work as a starting point. And perhaps her short pamphlets and the you tube videos about consistency when telling such stories. They are at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.thesensoryprojects.co.uk/sensory-stories
    Her books on sensory stories with a lot of easy to digest theory is well worth reading, as are her published stories and her in service training.
    Also the podcasts by Pete Wells and his sensory stories. The podcasts are interviews with people who work with those who have severe and profound and multiple learning difficulties, then he tells and deconstructs one of his many stories.
    https://sensorystoriespodcast.com/

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I would be really interested in your research findings if you would consider sharing them. It's such a worthwhile area and our learners so different, any extra information about how we can support them is really valuable.