1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sensory lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by celticreature, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I wonder if anybody has any good sensorylesson ideas within the topic of fairytales for a class with abilities ranging from P5 to L1!! The childrens needs are ASD, Downs Syndrome, EBD and global delay. I have to do an observation for a job interview and I have only been given this information. I am currently teaching in mainstream but would really like to get into special. Was thinking of maybe doing Jim and the Beanstalk but that was about as far as I go!. All help really appreciated from all the experts out there. Many thanks.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What chronological age? Have you read Penny Lacy's research, with lots of links in the bibliography? also google Keith Parks articles. He has some brilliant sensory fairy story ideas.

Penny's article is here. www.nicurriculum.org.uk/docs/.../inclusive_literacy_notes.doc

3. mrstiggywinkle123

mrstiggywinkle123 New commenter

I would start by having a visual timetable for your session if you are doing some songs, surprise box type activities etc as well as a story. As you finish each part of the lesson, remove it or ask one of the children to remove it and post it in a finished box/envelope/bag etc. I would probably go for a traditional Jack and the Beanstalk as I find Jim can go over children's heads. Can you put the story onto Power Point and project onto the smartboard?
    I would use a BIg Mack or simIlar switch for parts of the story which you can repeat. How about making a beanstalk from a roll of paper which has the top snipped that you can pull out and get some herbs to make it smell. You could use a noisy clip from LAKELAND for the cow noise. Have lots of photos or symbols. Get the children to be the indignant mother, show the face and pretend to throw the beans out of the window. Get some glasses for the children to try on and how about a wig for the giant.....my current class would find that hilarious. Just remember that you are an actor and go for your Oscar winning performance. Good luck