1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory experiences

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by GemsEYFS, Aug 20, 2011.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I wanted to create sensory areas in my classroom. A section that has different types of smelly things, maybe hung from shoe laces, and then a touch area with different meterails for the children to feel and discuss. Has anybody done this before? if so how has it worked? ALso, i wondered if anyone has any ideas of different smells i could put in mt sensory bags? I have crushed lavender and a gingerbread smelling pot. I'm stuck for ideas!

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

I wanted to create sensory areas in my classroom. A section that has different types of smelly things, maybe hung from shoe laces, and then a touch area with different meterails for the children to feel and discuss. Has anybody done this before? if so how has it worked? ALso, i wondered if anyone has any ideas of different smells i could put in mt sensory bags? I have crushed lavender and a gingerbread smelling pot. I'm stuck for ideas!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Slightly different as we have these as part of the investigation area CP - vanilla pods, cinnamon sticks, whole nutmeg and star anise so not in pots as children can investigate appearance and texture as well as scent
    touch - slices of loofah, natural sponge, pumice, pine cones, conkers,cork, tree bark, wood (in various forms- slices to show the rings, blocks, drift wood) beach pebbles and shells