1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory Classroom

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by nicola_3177, Oct 14, 2017.

1. nicola_3177

nicola_3177 New commenter

Hi

I am after advice on how to create sensory opportunities within my classroom... the thing is they must be screwed down! My children have challenging behaviour and anything that is not screwed down finds it's self being tipped over/thrown/used as misiles!

Any ideas/pictures would be useful?

Thanks in advance!

Bluebellpettle likes this.
  2. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

3. nicola_3177

nicola_3177 New commenter

4. dr_dig

dr_dig New commenter

Hi.
    This was mine prior to painting/filling the tube etc - warts and all but hopefully a realistic image of well used equipment. All attached to the wall now, and all resources begged or found. I am hoping I can add to it.

Attached Files:

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  5. ladyxxmacbeth

ladyxxmacbeth New commenter

Why don't you ask the children what they would like?. We set up a curtained sensory room at home in our kitchen. It has two tone sequin cushions and fabric on the wall. Lots of lights, including a black light which glow some neon chalks I got for the blackboard sicky backed plastic I have. Lava lamp although they can get hot, mines on a shelf. Music player with favourite music, different fabrics and a place to lay. I know my son would love a bubble tube that lights up but I can't afford one. Mirrors, marble run, although you could do this with clear flexible pipes. We have a fly curtain which is s basically string and my boy loves walking through it. We designed it with him and all the things are what he suggested.