1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensory area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hi
    What kind of things would you have in a sensory area ? I thought maybe shells and different textured items but not really sure.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Well you could go mad.... smelly things, stinky things. Smelly dough, various foods, could go on for ages! Think laterally instead of being so careful!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I use spices a lot in the sensory area - whole nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods, curry leaves ....also conkers, pine cones, drift wood, glass pebbles, those woven twig balls, buttons... as CP.
    I also add sensory gloves - basically those thin rubber gloves filled with different things to feel and small - dried peas, flour, shaving foam, branston pickle (good texture and smell) but experiement.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

For a focused activity you can have different foods- stick to one food type or a variety of things sweet and sour