1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensitive / overactive bladder

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by minnie me, May 9, 2019.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I noticed a few years ago that I can't empty my bladder just sitting in one position. If I swivel and tilt, I can get quite a lot more out. I told the GP and she sent me for a pretty thorough investigation, which revealed... nothing. No prolapse, no blockages, nothing abnormal detected. I did however end up with a kidney infection, possibly because of the puddle of pee that never quite empties.

If they don't find anything, there's not much you can do. It's still happening. I've broken our toilet seat several times because of the post-pee gymnastics.

Lara mfl 05, towncryer and minnie me like this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah interesting. I am now trying the draining motion as mentioned in a previous post - ha ! I am happy of course that the latest kidney / bladder scan showed nothing abnormal . That said I have just read up on the meds ( net ) I am taking and it says 5-8 weeks to kick in and I am assuming that is the regular two a day dose which I have avoided ..... I think I may up the anti when I see the GP and see if this has the desired effect ? Thanks

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

@Aquamarina1234 were / are your symptoms worse @ night ? This is were I struggle immensely...

towncryer likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

where - oops !

5. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

The sleepless nights are bad...especially if there is work the next day. A long plane journey isnt going to help..I don't know what those tablets do that you recommend...I will see if they sell them in pharmacies here..but strong pain killers can get me to sleep eventually. Obviously not the best way of dealing with it but the only way I have right now.

A long plane journey isn't going to help....I have found out that sitting seems to make it worse.
    If you're flying economy can you get a plane seat near the toilets? Do you have the option to buy seats with extra legroom....because they are usually by the toilets...plus the extra room gives you chance to move into different positions rather than cramped up in one position all the time..The cost of the extra seats will more than make up for the better holiday you will have if this conditions doesn't flare up.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am mindful of the seating and chose to be near staggering distance of the loos !( We were away in October and chose sensible then - aisle for me always now !) I think one of our connections means that we are on the ground @ night which may be helpful ? I am trying to be upbeat and positive because I do not want this to dominate my lifestyle ( such as it is !?) .

I shall return to the thread when I have had that conversation with the GP and having decided to take the prescribed number of tabs. Touch wood I don’t have the most common side effects though drowsiness (one ) is to be welcomed :). My guts are definitely looser but I prefer this to the alternative !

towncryer likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I don't have the urgency you describe, though I do have the usual age-related problem with running, sneezing or coughing with a full bladder! It's no worse at night.

towncryer likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just a quick postscript - took 2 of the tablets as described and have not experienced any symptoms. Yes- up to the loo last night x 2 but no manic attack which is very, very heartening. Early days but looks like this is the way to go in the immediate future and helps enormously with my holiday flights/ sea plane stuff!

@Aquamarina1234 - glad you don’t suffer with the urgency - really not fun - I curiously don’t present the way you do ?!

@towncryer - re med - it really may be worth a go ? Obvs on the NHS here but assume you can buy privately ? Good Luck

towncryer likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Revisited the doctor and she explained why the scan showed what it did. Up shot is not worth referring to urologist- suppose would be an option if I thought worthwhile ) ( joint decision ) because to all intents and purposes I can ‘manage ‘ my symptoms and I ‘ll take that.... had a really bad night after red wine ( which I have not touched for 3 months ) so that is a complete no no .... not bothered with meds over last 24 hours but have a repeat prescription as / when required ..... dr said to stand after voiding the bladder - a change of posture /position can help completely empty it ... who knew ?!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bizarrely I have suffered fewer and fewer symptoms over the last couple of months to the extent that I actually feel ‘ normal ‘. I l appreciate that by ‘ articulating this I am tempting fate - big time ! I don’t bother with the meds either. So bad from March through to July and then gradually a lessening / ceasing of symptoms . Truly grateful for the respite.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.