1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sensible haircuts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moose2, Oct 23, 2011.

1. moose2

moose2 New commenter

I have been wondering for quite a while now what a sensible haircut is? Is it one that suits you? or one that conforms to what is expected of us as influencers of those young impressionable minds? I am in my forties, I don't think that even if a came in with a bright pink mohican that I'd have any influence over my pupils hair! They would laugh and then I'd be told by SLT to come back when it had grown! (that's what we do to pupils at my school - we isolate them) - tempting

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

One that reduces the possibility of catching nits? I have mine long - and put it up at school...

3. moose2

moose2 New commenter

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Why cross? Or are you wanting loads of comments regarding the suitability or not of particular hairstyles? I could say something along the lines of 'when you become a teacher you become part of the establishment, so step up to the plate and get used to it', but I decided to go for a more practical approach. Every school is different. Every role is different. The 'blue hair' thread covered a lot of bases if you would care to search for it.
    And you'll find lots of opinion on dress codes too.

5. moose2

moose2 New commenter

I am not angry, it was rather more of a grrr - I've been a teacher for 25 years- I know all about the establishment - I think it was more of a fortysomething witha suitable haircut - OMG HOW DID THAT HAPPEN! i'd like some funny pictures to be honest.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Ach. 40 is the new 20. We'll all be working into our 70s (I reckon), so if you want to go bananas with your hair, feel free.

7. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Actually, am nearly 50 - put a good spin on that one[​IMG]

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It's the new 30.[​IMG]

9. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Tell that to my menopot (middle aged belly) I bet you are under 30

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

*whispers* I'm 40 next year, but I keep this funny portrait in my attic, so you'd never know to look at me...MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

11. I've got awful hair. I am constantly stumped for ideas of how to make it look thicker, curlier, straighter, fuller, more flowing, more controlled.... but the one thing I don't ever want it to look is sensible. Urrrgghh a sensible haircut is even worse than sensible shoes.

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh, I don't know...a pair of polyvelts (sp??) could go down in a nicely retro fashion...

13. Cornish pasties! I wouldn't wear them the first time round!

14. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

hum. I didn't have any choice...at one time the entire family wore them. I think I was about 8.