1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sensible advice on 'bullying'

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

This is very difficult. Whilst I would give serious consideration to every child's feelings and work on them (ie if this child has a problem with sharing a red crayon, then this needs addressing as does the percetion of their parents if they also see this as a problem!)

However, I consider bullying a deliberate act over a sustained period of time. So a one-off is dealt with, but not considered bullying.

HTH

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What does it state in your own school's Anti-Bullying Policy? I suggest that you state a clear definition there and stick by it.
    For example, bullying can be defined in a
    number of ways. I suggest that your school follows DfES guidance which defines
    bullying as; “deliberately hurtful behaviour repeated often over a period of
    time or on isolated occasions, where somebody deliberately intimidates or
    harasses another”.
    (DfES
    September 2002)

3. I have found it helpful to do a lot of work educating the children through daily assemblies about the meaning eg role play from older children, real stories of what it is & isn't, invite parents to these events too. Get all the children to sign a huge poster & on it define the word or take quotes from children to get the point across. Put your policy in the newsletter. There's an anti bullying week each year- lots of good activities around. Parents sometimes still use that word incorrectly but less often. I've not met many true bullies amongst the children I've taught at least!