1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sense of entitlement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

As I was going into Kew Gardens this morning to look at the orchid festival, a woman in front of me with her two children was having an argy bargy with the man in the ticket office:

Man "I'm afraid scooters aren't allowed inside the gardens"

Woman "They're not going to ride them"

Man "I'm sorry but they aren't allowed to be taken in, even if they aren't going to ride them"

Woman "Where can they be left in a secure place?"

Man "I'm afraid they can't"

Woman "Can't you understand that I am not going to leave these scooters unattended when they cost £100 each?"

Man "I'm sorry but they can't be brought into the gardens. It is a rule and I can't go against it"

Woman "Well it's up to you to communicate with the management to complain about the rule".

At this point, I looked at her and told her she shouldn't have brought the scooters to the gardens to start with. Then she turned on her heel and left with the two scooters in her hands and the children following.
    What makes people like this think that they are entitled to bend the rules and speak so rudely to polite people who are just doing their job? And what's the matter with today's children that they can't walk and have to take their scooters everywhere?

burajda, kibosh, coffeekid and 6 others like this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Bet she's a delight at parents' evenings...:eek:

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

My daughter says she is amazed at how rude, dishonest and downright nasty some people are, even when they realise they are in the wrong. Her tactic is to keep talking calmly, never raise her voice and people tend to calm down. She has a job in which she has to deal with some pretty irate people at times.

sabrinakat and wanet like this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

She is one of the many who believe that laws/rules apply to everyone except them. We see them everywhere-parking in disabled places when they are not disabled, in parent/children spaces when they have no children, allowing their kids to take and eat sweets/biscuits without paying for them in the supermarkets, parking with 2 wheels on the pavements..........I could go on!! :mad:

5. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

The other thing that she demonstrates is a lack of accountability, because it could not have been her fault herself. This really gets me as if you make a balls up, just admit it and move on!

kibosh, xena-warrior and wanet like this.
  6. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

• double-parking on the roads near any school
    • using a 9 hour parking space without paying to take her child across the road
    • allowing children to read comics in supermarkets but not paying for the read
    • letting children make an absolute mess of a cafe table and floor beneath - but not cleaning it up before leaving

7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Seems to be women and youngish children mainly...

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i fail to see why children should be allowed to take their scooters anywhere that's not a children's playground. fed up of seeing them in shops and city centre. why can't kids walk? why can't parents understand that these places aren't play areas?
    good on the ticket office man.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There's often a sign in supermarkets to say that children wearing those trainers with wheels are not permitted to ride around the aisles wearing them because it could be DANGEROUS, The number of times I've had to take avoiding action because parents and children ignore the instruction.

I guess the difference is that the staff don't appear to challenge them. At least your ticket office man stuck to his guns @Lascarina! Well done him! It's time we rose up and challenged those who don't believe tha rules apply to them.

Sillow and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

She'd be a lot happier in the Transport Museum in Lucerne - they provide free scooters for visitors to move around between the different display areas.

Silly woman could at least have carried a padlock to secure them with.

kibosh, Flere-Imsaho and sabrinakat like this.
  11. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

And those flipping overboard things!

12. emilystrange

hoverboard?

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think he'd have been out of a job otherwise, foxtail. Kew has very strict rules.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My father couldn't understand why I was furious he used 'his' disabled badge to park in a disabled space....the disabled badge was for his mother-in-law (my step grandmother) and she wasn't in the car. He did park in a regular space but then complained to my stepmother when we met for lunch, who agreed with me. I find wealthy, upper-middle class American men have a great sense of their entitlements as well (no, he's not the Donald)...

ps. I love my dad very much, but he is very 1950s in his outlook (1950s America!)

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

In a pizza place last night there was a 3-generation family celebrating the youngest kid's birthday. Both the kids were running round and round the restaurant - neither parents nor grandparents took any notice - it was a waitress who quietly told each boy (as they ran past/nearly into her) that they had to go and sit down. And they did. Neither parents nor grandparents seemed aware that there were H&S issues in letting their brats run round - fortunately they seemed equally unaware that their kids had been told to go and sit down or they might have got a r s e y.

16. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I agree with you about those scooters being a damned nuisence. Children riding them up and down aisles in shops, whike their parents look on irks me. Having said that, you'd think there would be somewhere to keep valuables such as scooters at Kew Gardens.

17. emilystrange

that happens a lot. i've seen several near disasters with kids/waiting staff. also seen climbing over and under tables and fighting whilst parents completely ignored children. asked to move tables that time and staff sorted us out asap... don't know what they said to the family

18. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

My elderly but independent parents are forever calling out ambulances and paramedics. I have explained that each deployment costs the NHS hundreds of pounds and ties up resources designated for life threatening emergencies. They feel it's their right to have service at home.

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I am so terrified that my 4 year will misbehave that I am always apologising to people in restaurants, but he is usually quite good...at least, for a half-hour or so, then we bring out the tablet or phone for him to use. I have tried crayons, colouring books and toys, but nope - he wants 'his' tablet.....

There's a great ad where a toddler is having a screaming fit in the supermarket and the parent gets down and imitates the child - I so would want to do that once, just to see what the toddler would do....(fortunately, he's pretty good)....

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ages ago, we cruised the Med on an Italian ship (not Costa.). We had the later dinner service, starting at 8.30. Every evening quantities of very small children roamed around the restaurant, particularly the waiters service area, where there were hotplates, hot food and hot sauces. They lay on the floor, rolled around and generally got underfoot. The waiters were adept at stepping over them and no one, except the English seemed to bat an eyelid, whilst we all muttered about small children who ought to be in bed at that time.

Norsemaid and sabrinakat like this.