1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senior management covering for striking staff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dianaprince, Jun 24, 2011.

1. What do we think about that. It makes me a little uneasy. I understand their role in the school, but surely they must be in a union, and therefore are undermining the strike.
    I feel bad as many staff are striking because they feel it is part of belonging to a union (I agree), and therefore feel that they are being undermined. Well that was the conversation today anyway.
    I am not actually striking btw, as I am in a different union.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Good idea as about time they did some real work?

3. [​IMG]

Actually I think the reason I am so disappointed, and in so are others is that our SMT are actually pretty good.

4. Whilst it probably should annoy me, the thought of one of them having to cope with bottom set Year 10 BTEC class last lesson cheers me up somewhat.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

If they aren't in the NUT and are teachers, why shouldn't they teach?
    For a non-NUT teacher tor refuse to teach is against the law. That applies to the HT and Deputy HT asmuch as other staff.

Unless they feel intimidated by the picket lines, which is a whole other story...

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Damn, I was too slow for the edit thingy.

..unless they feel too intimidated by the picket line, which is another story.

7. IMO it depends what they do

If they take a lesson and simply cover the teacher ... bad

If they collapse some or all elements of the timetable and organise something different (that they and they alone supervise) then the normal working of the school has been disrupted and the strike remains effective

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

HTs and DHTs are qualified teachers so can cover as many classes as they like, surely? If they can and don't, aren't they guilty of secondary striking?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

aren't

I tried to edit this, without success.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops - tell a lie[​IMG]

11. No, they should do their own job but not the job of a striking colleague, IMO

12. Exactly. Many of SMT will be members of NASUWT/NUT/NAHT who are affiliated unions. No they shouldn't strike, but they shouldn't cover for striking teachers.

13. bed

bed New commenter

My understanding is that all the other unions advise their members that they should not cover for striking colleagues and HTs shouldn't - musn't - ask them to.

bed

14. The union principle is not to cover striking teacher's classes, however, it is not against the law for a HT to tell teachers. To cover these classes. And if the teachers refuse, they could be held to be in breach of their contract and could be up for a disciplinary. I want to know if this also applies to striking teachers setting cover work or if that IS more than just a union principle.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

They should definitely not do that!

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How about teaching staff not in a union? x

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

They shouldnt expecct striking colleagues to leave work but I can't see why they shouldn't [as qualified teachers] cover classes and set their own lessons.

18. That is a tough one

I guess that this is the situation we have because teaching is not a "closed shop"

If you are not in a union then you are in no way bound by the union morality

At least you have made a conscious decision regarding this so I find it less objectionable than one who is in a union and does not act as such

19. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

So, if SLT or other staff take your lesson and pupils do work in exercise books who marks it?
    I certainly wouldn't if, as I will be, I was on strike on that day. My schools is closed so this will not arise thankfully.
    Looking forward to "work to rule" in September. Arrive at 8.30, leave at 3.30, no clubs, detentions, extra-curricular activities until the government compromises.

20. They shouldn't cover classes because we have this thing called 'rarely cover' in our contracts AND we have this think about not covering a 'known absence' and as striking colleagues will be known, a teacher should not be asked to cover for a striking teacher. If they are, they should use the Grievance policies as to be asked to cover in these circumstances is not exceptional or unknown. I also thought that NASUWT advice is for members not to cover for striking colleagues. If that is the case, they will have issued the advice knowing that it is legally watertight - I would have thought but need someone with real knowledge to tell me if I'm right or not.