1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senior Leadership Team - Secondary - what structure?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by fuzz, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I have been appointed Headteacher of a 1400-pupil secondary comp. They have, at present, one Deputy and four assistant heads. I have my thoughts as to how I want the team to be, but wondered if anyone out there can advise with regard to some good models that work well?

Wouldn't two deputies be preferable - I'd like 3 but budgets may dictate otherwise. Should I be looking for an AHT to be in charge of children's sevices in light of Every Child Matters?

Deputy is pastoral, 2 AHTs run T&L (11-14/14-19 split). It is a golden opportunity for me to shape the team, but only two of the five have a wide experience of different leadership roles, only two have been Heads of Department. The school is focused on behaviour management rather then T&L.

Anyway any thoughts to help guide me?

Thanks.

2. I have been appointed Headteacher of a 1400-pupil secondary comp. They have, at present, one Deputy and four assistant heads. I have my thoughts as to how I want the team to be, but wondered if anyone out there can advise with regard to some good models that work well?

Wouldn't two deputies be preferable - I'd like 3 but budgets may dictate otherwise. Should I be looking for an AHT to be in charge of children's sevices in light of Every Child Matters?

Deputy is pastoral, 2 AHTs run T&L (11-14/14-19 split). It is a golden opportunity for me to shape the team, but only two of the five have a wide experience of different leadership roles, only two have been Heads of Department. The school is focused on behaviour management rather then T&L.

Anyway any thoughts to help guide me?

Thanks.

3. Can't really comment on it but just to say I've seen loads of management structures in the past months as I've been applying for SMT posts. Some seem mad!
    In one school they didn't have any deputies at all. Just 4 very highly paid AHs. In a way this is logical as how can you justify the pay difference between a AH and DH, except that the deputy 'deputises' (sp?!) when you're away? But then who will take the buck when you're out?!

None of that helps of course!

BTW Let me know if you need another person! lol Desperately looking for a job for Sept.

4. 'Fuzz', Should I be looking for an AHT to be in charge of children's sevices in light of Every Child Matters?

Excellent question, I wish our SMT was as forward thinking as that!

5. We have one head, two dh, three ah, one is leaving and not being replaced. We are a school of 1230. Echo the post of would you like some applicants for a post at your school as you sound really switched on!

6. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Hi

We have two deputies and three assistant heads. One assistant head is responsible for cover and the training of NQTs, students teachers etc, one is responsible for the strategy and ks3 curriculum and one im not sure really!! We also have two people in post who are above Heads of Year who deal with attendance, truancy etc and one who deals with assessment and reporting etc.

7. wow

wow

We currently have 1 deputy Head (focus is Key stage 3 Strategy/NQT's/GTP's/Faculty Line management), 4 AHT's (all have faculty Line Management & Line Management for a year group - other jobs range from 1. Assessment & reporting 2) Daily Operations (cover, exams etc) 3. 14-19 strategy 4. Inclusion.

In addition, we have just re-organised the pastoral structure with a Key Stage Manager for KS3 and KS4 and have introduced non-teaching Student Mentors - which takes much of the "discipline focus" away from the SLT!

8. Thanks for the replies so far.

Wow, how is the new pastoral structure working? Are the KS3/4 managers on Leadership Team? Do they "just" deal with behaviour/discipline? Do you still have five heads of year? Student mentors - are they something that I should consider freeing up teachers?

y9840125, the two people in posts above Heads of Year - are they sort of Key Stage Managers as well?

I would like to remove the curriculum/pastoral divide but don't want to rock the boat with the TLR issue too much - or should I be radical?

9. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

They were Key Stage Managers last academic year. However, the roles changed this year and now one is responsible for attendance and punctuality, the other for assessment and reporting and praise. Not sure why the changes were made.

10. Our system seems to work well. One Deputy, with general responsibilities across the board (including exams, cover etc).

Three Assistant Heads who are each responsible for one faculty, consisting of three or four departments. Each also has some whole school responsibilities - eg SEN, Teaching & Learning, KS4 curriculum, etc.

We have two non-teaching (indeed, non QTS) assistant heads (paid at the same rate as AHT) who are responsible for one Key Stage each (3 & 4). They also line manage the Lead Teachers for each year group.

Yes, there's a pastoral/academic divide, but it seems to work well. With the head, it gives a SLT consisting of 7 members of staff. All the teaching members of SLT retain at least a part timetable - in the case of the head, this is only in cover area, but it means that every member of SLT has daily contact with students in the classroom, so knows what the situation is on the ground.

11. One model that I've seen working well, albeit in an international setting, is as follows:

The management structure is flattened, leaving 4 AHT's who compromise the Snior Leadership Team. Each is given a portfolio for the year, details of which are thrashed out prior to the start of the academic year. The "chair" of the SLT is rotated on a termly basis.

As I say, the example that I have seen has been a great success. I'm taking a Headship post in September and, whilst dearly wanting to follow a similar structure, know that the personel currently in place could not cope with such a structure. Skillful, open minded professionals is a pre-requisite of such an approach.

12. How do all these structures fit with the proposed TLR criteria?

I currently lead Exams, Cover, Student assessment and progress, general results' number crunching in an 11-18 sec. school. I have clerical assistance.

I am on 5 MA points at present and could easily lose the lot three years on from Dec. (or actually - could lose the jobs from Dec to be replaced with other roles with my salary changing from three years hence.)

At the start of the TLR review process it seemed to me that someone on the MA pay scale could not be allowed to continue doing these sort of jobs but that anyone on the Leadership Pay Scale would be able to do these sort of jobs.

However the more I read and consult the more I am told that no-one who is paid as a teacher (inc. teacher, Ass.Head, Dep.Head or HT) will be able to (be paid to) do these sort of posts.

There has been a lot of discussion on how the TLR arrangements will affect pastoral posts, but there are several other roles in schools that benefit from being lead by senior teachers with appropriate clerical support. My union even felt that timetabling might not be an appropriate activity even for a Deputy!!

Be warned!

13. wow

wow

Fuzz: new structure still needs some getting used to. Yes we have done away with Heads of Year. The student mentors are newly appointed this year and have largely come from non-teaching backgrounds - though most have worked in schools.

The KS managers are responsible for academic monitoring too, but are not in the Leadership team and are paid on a +4. We have found that the teaching commitments of the two KS managers needs to be lightened a bit next year to allow time to do the job!

14. This thread interested me.....any people got any great structures that are working three years on from TLRs?

15. This is a really good question that has been of concern to me in my work with a group of academies. Academy status provides an opportunity to review all roles and what is quite common is to find the top tiers of leadership in a school unbalanced in favour of managerial responsibilities.
    If all senior roles below the headteacher/principal do jobs which are essentially managerial then there is probably need for a rethink. A common example is a deputy in charge of timetabling, with a few other duties attached for other times of the year. This is a big investment in salary doing a job that can be contracted out at a fraction of the price to a good timetabling consultant who probably has far greater skills and can do a better job faster.
    By contrast, who on SMT is in charge of school evaluation, teaching quality and student achievement? Is this person Ofsted trained to ensure that observers are trained to observe lessons according to Ofsted criteria and that they keep an active SEF that is updated as a result of continuous review?

Interestingly, I have had to work with some headteachers who see school performance as a delegated activity. It raises questions about the skills balance needed for school leaders to run academies as the big businesses that they are. We would expect to see more parallels with the sorts of of top structures found in equivalent sized businesses. It may feel uncomfortable to many educationalists to see things that way but that is the way things need to move.

16. I presume the last two posters realise they were responding to a thread that's almost 7 years old!

17. I didn't, but it is still a highly informative read, and still relevant. I would be very interested in knowing more about the responsibilities of assistant headteachers in particular in schools at this time. I am involved with a school that is needing to reduce staffing at this level (4 posts to 3) and is having to design the responsibilities around a new model. What do SMT members reading this think the key responsibilities should be in an ideal world?