1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senior leadership team in classrooms after teachers gone home

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by shirlsmc, Sep 9, 2018.

1. shirlsmc

shirlsmc New commenter

Hi,
    It has come to my attention that our headteacher & 2 DHTs have been going into classrooms after staff have gone home. They’ve been looking at wall displays, jotters & going through personal belongings in drawers & cupboards.

Is this right? Can it be done? It just feels a bit of an invasion & unprofessional. No discussion or consultation. One teacher had things removed & taken off the walls.

Any advice?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Perhaps contact your union in the first instance.

In the meantime ensure you don't leave anything personal in the drawers and leave them empty.

Then start looking for another school to work at.

3. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Funny you posted this because I went in two weeks before the term and found an assistant head sitting at another teacher's desk, in the dark when I was returning some supplies that I borrowed right before the last term ended. This guy is a buddy of the new head that was hired last November and he was brought over and began this term. He is teaching in the department that I worked in. He was even sitting at my colleague's desk and my colleague did not even know about it. When I mentioned it, my colleague wondered why thing were 'changed' a little.

Now, granted he was timetabled to use that room when my colleague was not teaching in there but, since that was my colleague's desk, I found it rather inappropriate that he, someone who has just started, would sit at this person's desk. If he needed to work on something, I think it would have been more appropriate for him to sit at one of the tables.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Union

pepper5 likes this.
  5. a1976

Hi Pepper, look at my above post. Remember what I posted last night about my timetable?

pepper5 likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My personal stuff? No. Not good.

But why would I have personal stuff at work?

I'd be up-front about it. At the next staff meeting I'd come right out with it, "You know when you check out our rooms at the end of the day? Do you want us to label our own personal stuff to make it easier. You know. Stick a post-it or it or something? Say it's a personal diary or book? Is that a good idea? I don't suppose you want to waste time on our own ker-rap, do you?"

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Get looking for another job - you have a management that doesn't trust it's staff and applies it's own ideas to what goes on classroom walls and in drawers.

Get out as soon as possible - it's not a sustainable environment.

8. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

It’s the underhand approach that concerns me. Absolutely disgraceful.

Not new, though.

An acquaintance of mine in the early 90s bragged about how he (HT) would not get supply cover in for a teacher out for a day, but take the class himself so he could go through all the cupboards and drawers. Of course he told the teachers it was so he could ‘get to know the kids better’, but admitted to me that it was only to spy on his staff.

Sorry to say he went a long way up the LA ladder.

I’d suggest getting out as soon as realistically possible.

9. a1976

Hi Peakster, look at the post I posted last night in the supply forrum "What does this sound like to you?" and tell me what you think and the best way to go about it.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  10. shirlsmc

shirlsmc New commenter

It’s a primary school so really only one teacher in each room. By personal belongings I mean own pens, books, topic resources. Pens found elsewhere with management using them! Berol expensive ones too!

Furniture moved, resources taken away or added! It’s very strange.

Yes completely agree they don’t trust us, but why?

pepper5, steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Don’t see any problem at all with SLT having a look at wall displays or student’s books/work. Don’t see why they would be messing with anybody’s personal belongings though. Personally, I don’t leave any of my own stuff in school, apart from a couple of biros and maybe a phone charger, which I’m sure would be of little interest to anybody.

Seems a bit pointless, but if they want to open a cupboard and see a load of textbooks and paper clips, let them get on with it.

You should ask them what they were looking for. Maybe it isn’t as sinister as you imagine.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"Oy, Mrs DHT, isn't that my Berol? I'm pretty sure it is. You must have picked it up by mistake. Ta."

That's the only thing about which you can complain. So complain! To the right person. The person who nicked it.

The rest of it is fine. And can be defused if you just ask nicely! They then say, "Sorry, we didn't realise you'd all feel so upset about this. Please don't feel threatened. We just often don't get a chance to pop in and see your fabulous displays during the day! Keep up the good work."

Why wouldn't they say this? Why isn't this what's happening? Why suspect some sinister plotting? Totally unnecessary. At this point.

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If the SLT are nicking pens, they must be desperate.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Union.

Then empty the desk, except for a note saying: 'fooled you'!

16. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

As headteacher I could go in any classroom at any time for whatever reason. I would not look in any personal trays out of courtesy. However, I would have said to the staff that looking at displays, books etc for monitoring purposes could happen at any time. Formal book scrutinies would be notified. I’m afraid teachers don’t own their classroom. It’s a workspace and politeness is needed but a manager can enter the workspace for whatever reason.

Personal pens? No, don’t take those. Having a look at resources in use for teaching and learning? Why not? I don’t think there’s a problem here.

17. mordrid

mordrid New commenter

...I would have said to the staff that looking at displays, books etc for monitoring purposes could happen at any time. Formal book scrutinies would be notified.

Given that your approach, whether it be formal or informal, would inform you of that teacher as a professional - I'm left wondering what the difference is.

On a side note, would you be happy for a teacher to wander into your office and peruse the paperwork you had completed that day?

I doubt it.

18. a1976

Good one mordrid!

hhhh likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

How did it 'come to your attention'??

20. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

Place an unflattering cartoon of a management figure in your personal tray. If challenged explain that you found it and are investigating who the culprit was amongst your pupils. ( Just joking.)

tonymars likes this.