1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senior Leadership posts

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Si in Cornwall, Jul 27, 2009.

1. I have just been appointed head of a new 420 pupil primary school that is being created from seperate infant and junior schools. I am trying to think out of the box for management structure. The two schools currently have 2 and a half assistant heads between them. I am open to new ideas and am trying to get a feel of what other schools of a similar size are doing.

2. I have just been appointed head of a new 420 pupil primary school that is being created from seperate infant and junior schools. I am trying to think out of the box for management structure. The two schools currently have 2 and a half assistant heads between them. I am open to new ideas and am trying to get a feel of what other schools of a similar size are doing.

3. I don't know if this is particularly out of the box, but this is the structure in our school. The school amalgamated an infants and juniors in 2000 and became a 420, 2 form entry primary school.
    We have a HT and a non-teaching DHT who is also the SENCO. There are 2 Team Leaders one for KS2 and one for KS1/FS, each with a whole school responsibility, who received mid-range TLR2. That is the SMT. There are also 2 Assistant Team Leaders who co-ordinate the core subjects and they receive the lowest TLR2.
    The structure works well IMO. However because I am the KS2 Team Leader I am finding it hard to get the necessary KS1 experience to enable me to be successful in obtaining a DHT post. This lack of fluidity may not be an issue for you though.

4. i teach in a big cornish primary too. Our structure is head, non teaching Deputy ( who doubles up as SENCO, 2 assistant heads - one ks1 and one ks2, and a foundation stage leader. They are all on SLT.
    the only problem that occurs with this structure is that the most senior members are removed from the everyday class situation and find it hard to see new iniatives /pressure from the teachers point of view.
    i would recommend some weekly class contact! and that it is immovable!

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

In a similar size primary I was DHT with senco and children's co-ordinator responsibilities (all ECM agenda) whole school curriculum co ordination and Foundation stage co ordinator. We then had 3 TLRs - KS1 and Literacy co-ordinator, Lower KS2 and numeracy co-ordinator, Upper KS2 and ICT co ordinator (they had other roles too - eg foundation sub co-ordination). I taught PPA cover 2 days a week in my own department (good for keeping an eye on what's happening and remaining in the real world) and also released other members of SLT regularly to undertake their management roles (good for teaching across the age range). This structre meant everyone knew their roles and responsibilities and who their immediate line manager was. It also made a large but relatively inexpensive SLT (5 members but much cheaper on lowest TLR2 than having 2 AHTs). So the load was spread between many, We also moved towards joint subject leadership - with a ks1 leader and ks2 leader for each area - this might be really useful in getting your team to gel. Good luck!

6. Hi SI,
    I am currently organising a management structure during an amalgamation of an Infants and Juniors. We have two deputies that will form the SMT but am wondering about a middle tier with TLRs who will be the management team in control of core subjects etc. The school is on split sites seperated by a ten minute walk. Eventually one DH should move on being replaced by the one non teaching DH with two Assistant HT for KS1/FS site and KS2 site. BY having three of us on the SMT stops any issues with the amalgamation of two SMT's
    How have you now restructured your amalgamated school ?
    Mark