1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sending SATS back for remarking!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gully, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Is there a criteria to be met before we can ask for writing to be remarked? Literacy coordinator is saying that we can only ask for remarking if it will make a difference to the overall literacy level - surely it is difficult to say what effect the new marks will have... Any ideas?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well you wouldn't send back a paper that just scraped a level 3 in order for them to get 5 more marks. But if they missed a level 4 or a 5 by 2 marks and you thought they should have another 5 then you would.

I'm not sure if it is the 'overall level' or the 'writing level' that needs to change to send back the paper. I thought it was if the writing level would change, but you'll need to look in one of the handbooks to check. (Or wait for a more knowledgeable person on here.)

3. I was given the impression it was the overall level = if the writing has been marked VERY badly then 5 marks is quite possible over two pieces I suppose - the marks are pretty erratic children who are a 3 getting 4s and secure 5s getting 4s I have a child who is definitely a level 3 and a child that is borderline 5 the level 3 child got more marks on the long writer than the borderline 5 child - VERY Confusing..
    Our reading results were <u>PANTS</u> but then again the standard year 5 tests set the levels too high it is so easy to get a 4 and 5 it distorts the start point in year 6

4. The reading test was really easy to pick up marks on.
    Dont try and unpick the marking using the mark scheme. I marked the literacy and I have copious notes in my mark scheme of what is allowed for a mark and what is not allowed.
    It is not as clear cut as the mark scheme seems. For many of the longer answers a one or two word answer with a key word in could get 2 or 3 marks.
    A year 5 child may of over elaborated and missed key words and not got the marks, if a level 3 child put the key word one word answer they could get the mark.

E.g. the fill in the thought bubble question - children could get the marks for - 'excited' in the first bubble, 'worried' in the second bubble and 'phew' in the third bubble.

5. Have you looked at 2011 KS2 Reviews Guidance for Schools? It explains everything.
    Our writing marks are very baffling and makes me wonder what is going on. We have all worked really hard but the results don't reflect my assessments at all.

6. I sent back a writing last year that had scored 24 and it got upped to a 25 which brought it from level 3 to 4 but it didn't affect the overall level. So they do re-mark them independent of that.

(But something in the recesses of my brain thinks it has to be within 2 marks of the threshold to be sent back or am I imagining that?)

7. TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY agree!
    (Please don't get me started on that again!!)

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

We don't use the yr 5 tests for exactly this reason, we use yr 6 tests instead.

9. Glad it's not just us... our writing was all over the place. A child who is normally very secure level 5 getting a lot less than a child who is a secure 3. Feel so so down about it all today grrrr bloody SATs!

10. Been looking through some of ours...

We'll definitely be sending some back. It seems to me that the markscheme has been applied in a very erratic way. Middle ability children being over-rewarded for average pieces of writing, and higher ability children being heavily under-marked - sometimes by 4-5 marks on the Longer Writing.

I've not looked at loads yet - going to wait for the thresholds before expending too much energy. I must admit, it's got me pretty angry - because as far as I can see...there were clear indications that marks should be awarded...adverbials, paragraph links, use of higher level punctuation, range of conectives...and they've simply not been acknowledged. Almost as if the paper hasn't even been read properly.

Additionally, there have been some entirely strange handwriting marks given - 1s awarded for very neat, admittedly, not 100% joined, handwriting - looks identical to the examples of 2 mark handwriting in the MS, yet only awarded 1. When you've got children hovering at the borderline, I can't believe this simple part of the process can't be done properly.

Grrrrr.

11. I feel so much better after reading all these posts - been very down the last few days since receiving the writing papers back - 30% of our kids on 23/24 marks and practically every child has several of the marks on the front crossed out - in one case, the marks were altered so many times by the marker they've put a sticker over it with new marks. In some cases the marker has changed marks from a 7 to 3, can't see why from the mark scheme! We are definitelysending back. Does it have to be all the papers or can we send just the ones we have most problems with?

12. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

We've had similar patterns and problems - all seems very odd.
    Two level 5 children only getting half marks on the short write, less than a child who is normally a 3. I also had one of my 4b children get full marks but it really wasn't anything that special - the half marks were better!
    In terms of returning papers Foozinho, I think you can return as many or as few as you need to. Was chatting to SLT about it today and was told you get charged &pound;5 per returned paper.
    What a mess!

13. I'm sure that it's &pound;9, if the level doesn't change.
    I'm sending back 13 borderline L5s (35 and 36 marks) but will hold on until the thresholds come out on Tuesday.
    Have I already mentioned that I think that the whole system is pathetic? [​IMG]

14. Has it gone up to &pound;9 this year?...It was deffo &pound;5 last year......anything to claw back the deficit!

15. I heard it was &pound;6, but not sure if that is correct.

16. The system is not great. I have only ever taught year 5 and 6 in my career and I found it difficult marking in accordance markscheme this year.
    As I have said in an earlier post it was easy to pick up marks and any creativity and digression from the task was penalised.
    If a child had too many 'interviews' with witnesses etc then they lost marks for being too conversational for example.
    If markers followed the mark scheme to the letter ie looking for key words/points then it was easy to mark them wrong.
    Remember that the same marker marked all of your papers though. So if more than a couple are wrong it is likely that they are all wrong.

17. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

If a child had too many 'interviews' with witnesses etc then they lost marks for being too conversational for example.
    Sounds fair enough to me...

18. I've just opened my local newspaper and read an article of the same length produced by many of our high level writers. It has 5 quotes from different people within the article. Ok you could argue that it is maybe not the 'highest quality' newspaper in England, however we are not expecting our children to write for 'The Times'...yet!

19. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Well - I'd like to think some of my more able writers' journalistic work is better than that seen in the local press... [​IMG]
    Then again, we've not had our SATs back yet - who knows how they have done!

20. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Seriously though - quote to support main viewpoint, possibly another to represent opposing one. Shouldn't be loads of direct speech.