1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sending private messages/checking for messages

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by pepper5, Sep 26, 2015.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi all

Could some kind soul tell me how to send a pm and check my own messages? I can't work it out.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@pepper5 PMs are now called 'conversations'.

There are two ways to start a conversation (send a PM)
    1. Click on a user's avatar and click start a conversation on their profile pop-up
    upload_2015-9-26_20-46-4.png

2. Click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of your page and go to Conversations
    upload_2015-9-26_20-47-55.png
    Click on Start a Conversation
    upload_2015-9-26_20-50-17.png
    Enter the name of the person you want to send a message to - it should autofill once you have typed 3 letters
    upload_2015-9-26_20-52-16.png
    You'll see if you have any new conversation messages on your drop down menu - the number of new messages will appear at the side of Conversations. I'll send you a message as a test.

Rosaline has written a guide here
    How to guide

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thank you for your explanation which is very good. I think I can do it now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

@marlin I think you're set to take over from Tidal ...
    now - I have this knotty problem with my laptop... only joking. ;):D
    You are doing a tremendous job!

GLsghost likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

7. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I've followed all the instructions but cannot send a message because there is no "start conversation" button. I've also reported this on the "bugs" thread but with the length of time it takes for moderated posts to appear - 4 days so far - God knows when this will be answered. This message will probably take 4 or more days to even appear on this thread!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@WaylonWu
    I understand you cannot 'start conversations' whilst you are being pre-moderated.

9. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I see. Thank you. I've mentioned it several times on the "bugs" thread and was told that I should be able to send PMs! But I still haven't been able to so it looks like you are right.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Are conversations no longer private or is it just a change in terminology? I suppose site admins see everything they want to, regardless of the name.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Conversations are private - just a change in terminology. They do look just the same as forum postings though, which makes it a bit disorientating.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit at first I wondered if anyone could see my 'conversation- it looked so 'normal' for NuTES!

13. New_Penny

New_Penny New commenter

I don't find the 'conversation' feature very user-friendly at all. It is not easy to tell if someone has replied. Maybe it is just me being a numpty, mind you.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You can tell when someone's replied because a little yellow circle comes up next to 'conversations' (shown hen you hover over your username top left- not the one underneath that) and a number inside if there's more replies.

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I agree New Penny. The bright yellow spot on the old site used to work well alerting posters to the presence of new messages.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Loads of people have flagged this up, right from the start.

What is needed is an indicator that you have unread conversations on the open forum, without the need to open anything

The TES team @TES_Rosaline @TES_Pippa are already aware of this request and I understand that it has been flagged up with the developers. -