1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sending money overseas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Dec 3, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

We just sent some money overseas for a car (to give you rough idea on amount) via the bank and paid £35 to get it next day. I think it's less if there's no rush x

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've sent money through Western Union, £15 for next day.

3. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

For small amounts (up tp £150) Western Union is good - you can send money right now online as a new customer up to two times just on your CC and the receiver will be able to collect in minutes. After the two transactions they may ask for copies of ID, although I wasn't. Some hidden charges as you'd expect - lowish exchange rate if the £'s are to be converted and using your card means the CC bank will take a few quid (cash advance fee). I paid close to £10 to send £100 with WU.

Otherwise as others have said, the electronic transfer is best. Many charges here way in excess of the work involved, but it is safe. (Both banks will take their cut and Barclays are known to be outrageous with fees). You should never use this method for low amounts of money.

Finally, you could send traveller's cheques by post, or a banker's cheque (but again, the latter can have horrendous fees attached.