1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sending messages to other forum members

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by lookingtogo, Sep 11, 2020.

1. lookingtogo

lookingtogo New commenter

Hi
    can anyone help? I would like to PM and other member, but don't seem able to.
    When I click on my icon and go to messages on the drop down menu there does not seem to be an option to start a new conversation. Is this because I am a newish member, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks if anyone can help!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's probably because you are a new member.

To PM another member click on Conversations in your avatar menu
    upload_2020-9-11_15-38-2.png

Established members will get this page with a 'Start a New Conversation' button

upload_2020-9-11_15-35-52.png

If you are getting this page but without that button it means TES Admin haven't yet approved you to send PMs. They only approve you when you have "established a posting record" but they don't define what that is!

You could email TES support on help@tes.com and ask them if you can be given approval to start Conversations.

In the meantime although you can't initiate a new Conversation another member can start a Conversation with you and you will then be able to reply. So you could tag the member in this thread (by putting @ in front of their Username) and ask them to start a Conversation with you.

A bit of a work-around but that's TES's rules I'm afraid. They're because in the past they had problems with spammers setting up new accounts and spamming all and sundry through Conversations

3. lookingtogo

lookingtogo New commenter

Hi thanks for the speedy reply - yes I though it was the newby thing. I can open the conversations part, but it does not have the 'start a new conversation' button on mine. I had tried the email address but I keep getting an undeliverable message. I will just have to keep posting and hope I get approved soon. Thanks again.

4. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I am desperately trying to converse with the football thread people about the new fantasy football league, but as I'm locked out (and have been since May 2017) I can't and the new bl00dy season starts tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2020