1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sending food to Australia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Does anyone know what I can send for Christmas? Madlad missing English food.
    thanks

2. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/mail/cant-mail

google is your friend :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I sent a £4.99 jar of Marmite and it cost about £15 for postage. What does he miss? I find the only things I miss when I'm there are proper tea bags and Marmite.

4. Thanks nutella. I was wondering what I could send. Don't think he's bothered about marmite. Bet he's missing cheese .....grommit.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Cheese? There seems to be a good selection over here but feel free to post me some chocolate ;-)
    They have bovril over here which is good on toast IMO.
    I'm relying on google to see what people can post out too. Feather pillows are about 4 times the cost here so hoping mum can send me some! Lol x

6. No meat,fresh veg or fresh flowers, no nuts or seeds - When you enter Australia you have to bin feed you may have had on the plane and declare anything you are taking in. I had to declare a box of Caramac I was taking in for my cousin - it's more expensive there.

Chocolate is always good but you run the risk of it melting on the way - the recipe for cadbury's is different to stop it melting in Oz.

Not sure why he would miss cheese.

7. littlemissraw

Have you tried entering British Chocolate / Food into google.com.au?
    May work out a similar cost once you've paid postage? Xxx

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My son went to live in Sydney 10 years ago and cheese was what he missed for longest because you can't get a nice bit of cheddar there. But I don't suppose for one minute that you can send it. You can get good feta and pecorino there and Cracker Barrel Cheddar is not too bad.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've watched a fair few episodes of 'Nothing to Declare' (about Oz customs and immigration) recently and cheese (dairy products in general) is strictly prohibited from the UK, because of our history of foot and mouth, apparently.

10. When I sent my niece a feather boa they opened it as it showed up on the xray as feathers. They did let it through (with a letter detailing exactly what's allowed!) as it was treated and dyed pink(!) so safe from any nasty mites.

11. littlemissraw

Ooh so its seeming possible. I hope they'd be treated in a pillow? Think its worth a shot. If its not allowed do they return to sender or destroy? x

12. Thanks for all your help.