1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sending a cover letter when one isn't requested

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by casperino, Jan 23, 2016.

1. casperino

casperino New commenter

Hi,

I'm after some much-needed advice!

I'm about to apply for a job where, in the advert, they didn't specify whether I should send a cover letter or not. Upon contacting the school to confirm this, I was told that, as long as I filled in the application letter (including the additional information box), I wouldn't need to also include a cover letter.

I would usually put my ES in the additional details box, and use my cover letter for all the other detail. Should I now treat my application letter as a combination of my ES and my cover letter - and if so, should I write it out properly as opposed to the bullet point list I would usually provide? Or should I send an additional cover letter in addition to my application form?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, I am really not sure here, as the school is not being very helpful!

You needn't send a letter?

Does this mean that you need not bother as they wouldn't read it? Or that you don't have to go to the trouble, but if you do, they will read it?

Actually if I were you, I would e-mail them and ask I note that the advertisement does not ask for a covering letter with my application for the post of Teacher of X. If I were to send one, would it be read and considered as part of my application?

I wouldn't say that you had already phoned about this. And I would use an e-mail that (a) doesn't include your name and (b) is not the one that you will use to send in your application.

;)

Best wishes

3. casperino

casperino New commenter

Thank you for the advice!

I hadn't thought of this - so I'll get on it straight away. I'll let you know how I get on.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)