1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENDCo interview - teeny bit nervous

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by the night owl, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi, to anyone why feels like offering a bit of advice.
    Ive got an interview Weds (secondary/mainstream) and im starting to feel a tad nervous. Currently i'm not a SENCO but I to teach SEN students withing a aminstream setting and for the past 2 years Ive been responsible for the Foundation Learning provision within my setting.
    Im used to being involved in IEPs and annual reviews so not to worried about this. I have looked at the provision map for my own school and other examples and I happy with that.
    I have also been making my way through the Code of Practice and the New Green paper.
    Im a little worried about CAF questions as i've never been involved in one. Although I know the steps involved.
    I have been thinkingI could get asked about
    IEP's/ annual reviews
    provision mapping & strategic planning
    use of staff teaching and TA's ( there is a TA shadow during the interview procedure)
    Assessment
    any other ideas.....
    many thanks to anyone who replies
    Night owl

2. Hi, to anyone why feels like offering a bit of advice.
    Ive got an interview Weds (secondary/mainstream) and im starting to feel a tad nervous. Currently i'm not a SENCO but I to teach SEN students withing a aminstream setting and for the past 2 years Ive been responsible for the Foundation Learning provision within my setting.
    Im used to being involved in IEPs and annual reviews so not to worried about this. I have looked at the provision map for my own school and other examples and I happy with that.
    I have also been making my way through the Code of Practice and the New Green paper.
    Im a little worried about CAF questions as i've never been involved in one. Although I know the steps involved.
    I have been thinkingI could get asked about
    IEP's/ annual reviews
    provision mapping & strategic planning
    use of staff teaching and TA's ( there is a TA shadow during the interview procedure)
    Assessment
    any other ideas.....
    many thanks to anyone who replies
    Night owl

3. Hi nightowl
    I can't really offer any advice but am in the same position - wonder if it's the same job!

4. maybe if your on the south coast ... beignning with B !!!!!!

5. no - I'm in London
    Good Luck for Wednesday!

6. thanks [​IMG]
    you too x

7. I am a SENCo of 15 years in a mainstream secondary school setting. My school had a 'MockSted' last Summer and they looked at very specific things which may be of use to you in terms of answering questions.
    The key points they wanted answers for were;
    Register - how I run the SEND register (I know we aren't meant to have one but they ignored that point!), how I monitor names on and off the register, how many moved on the register, why they moved etc.
    Interventions - what they were, how I knew they worked, how I evaluated them, how I proved they were value for money, how I monitored them in the classroom.
    Tracking progress - how I tracked progress, which students I tracked.
    Strategies - which strategies were used to support students, how staff were told about these, how I monitored these in the classroom.
    Free school meals/ looked after children - did I know which students they were, did I track their progress.
    Outside agencies - how did I work with these, how did I ensure they were value for money.
    Informing parents - how did I contact parents and keep them informed. How were parents involved in reviews for Statements, School Action + and School Action.
    Teachers - how did they know about student needs, how did they access information and IEPs (we call all support plans ISPs).
    Financial tracking - how did I show value for money for interventions, how did I track money in/out, how did I cost interventions.
    I hope some of this may help rather than panic you. The role of SENCo is something you grow into and I would say I am still learning. My school has already put in place my replacement (I will go in 18months time) to ensure smooth transition so a very forward thinking SLT I think.
    Good luck on Wednesday.

8. Thank you J

9. All done - now in the lap of the Gods [​IMG]
    Im happy with how things went and I feel I said what i wanted to say. Was a bit aprehensive as other candidates were in post SENCOs or had done the role previously.
    decision tomorrow.
    Whatever happens - the experience was well worth it x

10. I've just had the phone call from the head and I wasn't successful - but I did a reasonable job and have been given some good feedback. Next time...

Hope you had better luck nightowl