1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Send more students to FE instead of university, says OECD

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Said it before, and I'll say it again. There are far too many people going to university. Universities are meant to be places of academic excellence, and research. Courses in restroom management, and their ilk, should be pursued elsewhere.

The only people who benefit from the current system are all the extra administrators it requires and the pseudo intellectuals running mediocre courses in order to line their own pockets.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Why are policy makers/influencers always 10 years behind the practitioners.

It has been clear for years (even before they went to university) that for some students it was not appropriate.Even as Tony Blair announced the 50% (?) to go to university and it it would mean higher salaries, I shouted at the radio No it won't (actually it was less polite that that and included a personal remark re his intelligence etc).

However I am concerned about this 'discovery' for two reasons
    1) the economic argument -it will save money- is too prominent in their thinking. Educational decisions issues should be made on educational grounds.
    2) I no longer trust any so called measurement in the education. Recent experience shows that, 'good, 'satisfactory' outstanding' etc and now 'weak' have become political terms rather than any accurate measure of ability - I suspect 'weak basic skills' will be determined according to a political or economic agenda.'weak basic skills'

TCSC47, wanet and monicabilongame like this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Send?
    These are young adults with minds of their own.

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, first of all the report is by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and basically, being an industry representative pressure group, they are really saying the same old thing in a mealy mouthed way. Too many young people entering the world of work have not been prepared for it, as the employers would want. They cite insufficient capability with English and maths.

So instead of allowing as many students as do, to attend University, it is suggested that they should instead be sent to FE where they will be taught much more cheaply than at University. The money saved could then be ploughed into teaching the students who have not been able to achieve a required level of maths and English.

Fair enough. Having worked in HE, FE and secondary, I could drink to this. There are many students in HE who would be better served with being in FE anyway.

But what the OECD are not acknowledging is that what employers really want is an attitude to work hard or at least be able to use common sense and behave as an adult. A facility in maths and English relevant to their job will follow if they have that attitude.

Now, I'm sure many would agree with me here, that "attitude" is the hardest thing in the world to teach, and in any case is not in the National Curriculum! I have observed in my lifetime that you can not teach "attitude". The student can only learn it. Some , perhaps few, are born with it, but the rest of us have to learn it through having to provide ourselves with somewhere to live, food on the table and funding to be able to go out and enjoy ourselves with others, and having a partner who is not prepared to let you avoid your contribution to the partnership, and even maybe having produced a dependant.

So as usual we simply have here a case of some employers complaining that the teachers are not teaching what they want and once again simply demonstrating that they don't understand how education works.

But at least they have come up with some practical suggestions on how to re-organise education --- and if there is one thing we have had a lot of practice at, -- it is re-organisation! Thank God I am retired!!

wanet likes this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

To add, if the OECD are so convinced of FE's usefulness in education for the world of work, maybe they should comment on the fact that students 16 -18 yr old are being made to attend FE if they have no job to go to. I left FE the year after this was introduced so I don't really have any experience of what this dictate may be doing to FE and its teachers who can no longer point out to any students who have not been able to figure out that they are not still at school, that nobody is making them stay in the class.

Do we have any comments from FE teachers having to work with this cohort forced onto FE?

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I'm awaiting
    member of the top royal family
    children of PM and cabinet
    going via the FE route
    and the 90% of cabinet who went to university being replaced by FE alumni.

Then I might take seriously promulgations such as these.