1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEND long-term planning

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kahlamayhew, Dec 17, 2019.

1. kahlamayhew

kahlamayhew New commenter

Hi all,
    Since September I have been working in a KS1 SEND unit attached to a Primary School (but rather unusually not on-site as there was no capacity- our unit is located in the neighbouring nursery school building). I set the unit up from scratch and am really pleased with how it's going so far- we use the Developmental Journal to assess the children and work out their next steps, have a really good daily routine established and use continuous provision to work on children's weekly individual IEP targets, as well as having short focus carpet sessions introducing phonics/counting etc. However, I have not got a long term plan in place and would be very grateful for some guidance. The school has sent me their EYFS long term plan but it is not really appropriate for our unit as we just follow the children's interests in order to engage and draw out their learning so we don't really have topics as such. Would anybody be able to help me out with some examples of a long term plan, or point me in the right direction?
    Many thanks!
    Kahla

2. cingirl

cingirl New commenter

Hi Kahla, you could start by looking at the Northern Ireland SEN curriculum and the Equals curriculums, both are very comprehensive and should give lots of inspiration for long term planning.