1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SEND and social distancing

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by LancsBird, May 10, 2020.

1. I teach in Reception and we have got 3 children with extreme behavioural needs. They all bite, kick, scratch and need restraining at times. One of them runs off and attempts to leave the playgrounds when he can. Before schools closed we were trying to get 1-1s but the process is so slow. We were coping by using TAs but I'm very worried how to handle them when we return on June 1st if that is what happens. Can anyone offer me advice?

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I work in a special school and to be honest I have just accepted that we won’t be social distancing. It’s impossible. Many children with additional needs don’t understand things like personal space at the best of times and they need to much support to do up their coat/go to the toilet etc. Someone in my family suggested I wear a mask but that won’t happen either, it will probably frighten some children and is liable to just get taken off. I think the government suggestion that we will have small classes of children sitting in rows and moving around the school in an orderly fashion is completely misguided. Just got to get on with it and hope for the best I guess ‍♀️

katiejb likes this.
  3. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I completely agree. I’ve just come from a very challenging primary school and this behaviour was frequent.
    I think all you can do is maintain your own and children’s hygiene so frequent hand washing, use sanitizer, encourage children to use their sleeves to cough , maybe make up a new song for it all.
    Then on leaving work wash your hands and face before you touch your car.
    Just ideas.