1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Send a responsible student.....

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lovejoy_antiques, Jan 15, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I've worked in a few schools (permanent and supply) where the behaviour policy involves sending a responsible student to fetch another member of staff. Whoever thought this one up clearly has either never met a student before, has no understanding of classroom dynamics or peer group pressure or has no recollection of being a child themselves!

cathr likes this.
  2. magpie1512

magpie1512 New commenter

''Single out a student to be heckled and traumatized by their peers"

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It depends on the class. I have been in classes where students are quite willing to go to the office for me with note to send for on call. They even offer to go!

Some classes, however, you can't ask anyone because they would be heckled and bullied.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

This policy wasn't drawn up with you in mind, it is so SLT can stay in their ivory towers.

As a bonus, this will probably bring about a reduction in removals which is a statistic that needs to be kept low.

lovejoy_antiques and pepper5 like this.
  5. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Method in the madness!

6. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Students are usually keen to leave the classroom to run errands and messages!

However, involving them in the behaviour management process isn't an appropriate solution for every day classroom behaviour. Considering that one or two students will often be identified by a range of teachers as the "responsible" one, they could end up being asked to go and get another member of staff several times a day. It isn't very positive for peer relationships that's for sure.

On the other hand, it really does depend on the environment. and what getting another member of staff actually involves. In my current school, relationships are generally fairly positive between students and staff and many students would be willing to pop to the office (next door/just down the corridor) and ask for someone to phone on call. It wouldn't be any more disruptive than the behaviour that warranted on call nor would they be bullied for it in my experience.

Schools shouldn't rely on this however. Systems like SIMS and Behaviourwatch etc have a very simple way of requesting on call with just one click and the teacher/subject/class/room are all automatically sent to whoever is watching the on call system at that time. I would think this is preferable as it's all under teacher control.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

I do agree with @JohnJCazorla though about it keeping stats down! Anything to make it harder for classroom teachers it often seems!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

My school does this and I hate it. Often the child is gone for ages and I’ve had some classes where they all refuse leaving me in an impossible
    Situation!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi mrandmrsscience

This really isn't acceptable but there are many schools who will leave their supply teachers in "impossible situations" and it is very dangerous for all concerned. It is dangerous for you and for the class.