1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO training and jobs

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by charlyb81, Sep 2, 2019.

1. charlyb81

charlyb81 New commenter

Hi all,

I qualified as a KS4 teacher 10 years ago and worked for 4 years before going self employed at home setting up a wedding venue business at our small holding. However I am looking at going back into employment in the education section and I was always interested in the SENCO aspects of school. I am considering doing the National Award for Secno Coordination which I’ve been told I can do if I have access to a school.

Could anybody please tell me what job prospects are like for SENCO’s and is it normally more of an in house thing and what am I likely to expect in the role?

Thank you in advance.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Look at the SENCO standards.Crucially you need to demonstrate that you have a track record in securing exceptional outcomes for SEND students in your charge / proven leadership and management skills. Integrity and ‘ street cred ‘ essential as is the capacity to grasp nettles, evidence great organisational and communication skills. Helps I think to have a grounding in the theory ( addition CPD courses / qualifications ) on which to base your practice ?

Be aware that just having access to a school is not necessarily advantageous or a route one to the job market ? Better to shadow an experienced / effective SENCO or equivalent.

If you scroll down eventually you will find lots of threads on the subject of SENCO accreditation - useful if you took the time to read and digest ?

‘ Doing ‘ the accreditation does not secure outstanding provision for students. Serving your time may ?

phlogiston and Flanks like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In most schools, the senco is a senior member of staff, usually on or closely linked to SLT.
    By all means come back into education but reflect that going straight to senco would be like going straight to deputy head.
    I would advise coming back in to a role where you work with children with learning difficulties and observe both current practice and a good senco, then do some career progression once you've got some up to date track record.

peter12171 and minnie me like this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I agree with minnie me and philogiston. The award may be a requirement but the experience is the most important part. Get the experience working with the children.