1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO since 1991 - in new school, no NASENCO....help!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Nealswife, May 16, 2020.

1. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Here's challenge presented to me as school wants to get rid of me for raising issues about school practices.
    I am a qualified teacher, with M.Ed in SEND from London Uni. Worked in SEND as Advisor and SENDCo for years pre-2009. Law states, after 2014, new SENCOs need the NASENCO - which I I don't have as interview in 2017, I was told, not needed! Great for me, with my experience with additional degree.
    At this school, HT left and new HT lost my files. The latest HT, No.3 has questioned my qualifications and asked am I qualified - No I am not...the truth.
    The requirements by Government not clear - ambiguous - but not sure how to clarify this dilemma in SENCO role. I ma being fired for non compliance and for deceit - although my file has been 'lost' and my 3 years is up! No PMR last year, not addressed, no training - kids have all made progress and I have carried out all duties with good results, including GOOD from Ofsted.
    The school is pushing me out as I ma older and won't take their nonsense in their treatment children and parents.
    Any one with similar experiences of qualifications - would be helpful, either way.
    Grateful - stay well...not easy times for anyone.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

This may not help but I think the *qualification actually should count for very little and experience, integrity and a proven track record of having met with success with SEND students are just some of the attributes people should bring to the post ? I suspect from your situation that a reference will be a stumbling block and job descriptions may prove challenging because of the ‘ essential ‘ column ?

*I delivered /presented / assessed on the ‘ inaugural ‘ accreditation for a local provider and for a few years after ... I know what I am talking about-ha !

Good Luck

Nealswife likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Flanks likes this.
  4. Nealswife

Thank you for this - I have just written to universities to ask if my M.Es surpasses the NASENCO, with 60 points, towards the M.Ed. I did mine in 1997, London Uni., recognised 5 yr course with a Dissertation on SEN and literacy for SEN pupils - raising expectations. I began a PhD, but never completed it due to family commitments - being main carer and provider - but all seems irrelevant and too late now.

I had no JD at interview - never given one, despite asking - just interview ed by HT and Governor, refs, then asked to start asap. Prvious SENCO walked out. I fulfilled the role well until HT No 3 arrived, no PMR, then files went missing.... after Ofsted.

New young lady, with NASENCO has replaced me; I am on sick leave and suspended for not being qualified, and under investigation for with holding my lack of qualifications - never mentioned prior to this.

I had two good references when first appointed, from a HT and Head of School Services. I still have some contacts for future refs. This school will be a 'questionable gap' ...despite my work and success at the role.They have tried to discredit my qualifications, reputation and integrity.

They did not offer an alternative role although I did most of the Pastoral care too.

5. tiredout

tiredout New commenter

I think you don’t need the qualification if you were a SENCO before 2008.

Nealswife likes this.
  6. Nealswife

I was a SENCo and Lead Teacher for LEA before 2008 - since 1991. M.Ed in 1997 in SEND from London Uni.

School have said I deceived them in some way - new HT No.3. I was interviewed by HT No. 1, in 2017, deemed fit for purpose then and did a good job - just I spoke up for myself and department - punished for this now.

7. Nealswife

Again, new here and learning the protocols to adhere to - advice invaluable.

It occurred to me, SEND professionals may offer some advice and clarity about not having specific NASENCO qualifications. It has been answered by an accreditation assessor (gratefully received) which has helped me to argue my own case. I have gone beyond the qualifications, if I am correct?
    The government guidance is ambiguous and does not mention other relevant qualifications, prior to 2008 for qualified teachers, working with SEND/ SENCo.
    This has been a challenge and dilemma, to prove my case.
    I appreciate any threads I can gather, to tie up the knots which I have to grasp, to investigate to some conclusion as the nature of the allegations change daily, to break me.

I have to check all avenues here. Thank you for your help and support.

8. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Are you a union member, Nealswife, with access to legal advice and assistance? What is happening to you smacks of workplace bullying and constructive dismissal.

Nealswife likes this.
  9. Nealswife

Thank you for your response here. I did pass it to the Union, who first said I should just leave - but looking at this again, as I cannot just walk away, they are checking in with the school.

Dodros likes this.
  10. Nealswife

Thank you so much for this. I have contacted universities and they said the same and provided me with guidance, I am vindicated from the shame I began to feel that I was some kind of fraud all these years, working as a SENCO - that has been cleared and my qualification validated. I am back on track to fight the other challenges now. Thank you - stay well and safe. :0)

MarieAnn18 and minnie me like this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just an afterthought re the accreditation - meeting the standards is pretty straightforward (although from memory there were some which depending on your setting/ experience some colleagues would struggle with .... as for the assignments as long as you ‘ answered the learning objective and fulfilled the brief academically you could easily be ‘ creative ‘ in your responses .. as it was an ‘ exercise ‘ in research,reading, reflection, critical analysis blah blah to demonstrate the skills required to access Masters credits .... but that’s another issue ..,,

Nealswife likes this.