1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCo role at parents evening

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kiki61, Aug 26, 2011.

1. As a SENCo in a large mainstream primary I would like to have a more central and useful role in parents eve - currently parents take up to see me is low, and to be honest I think it is best to accompany teachers rather than give a potentially different story. I do accompany teachers at a few appointments but I have been thinking about an information point / stand etc? Just wanted to know what others do and what works well? Thanks!

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I am confused by your ' potentially different story' angle - can you explain what you mean ?

3. Sorry, I struggled to word that bit! I would be worried that if parents saw me, seperately from the teacher then I don't know what the teacher has said and vice versa. I am currently working on the importance of teachers sharing new info re. behaviour / learning but frequently developments positive and negative happen without my knowledge - I feel I need to be with the teacher and the parents to ensure all info is pulled and both teacher and myself have chance to speak to parents together. There is also questions parents may have asked - would we give the same response? and would parents potentially have to repeat themselves. Preparation is key I know but with 21 teachers and over 120 kids on the register to be 'up to date' with them all that week is impossible, as is attending every consulation of chn on the register.
    I realise the potentially different story is a sign of things not really working in my school however is a current concern of mine!