1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO qualification

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jbrightwell2, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jbrightwell2

jbrightwell2 New commenter

Is it possible to do the training without already being in a SENCO role? I am very keen, but want to train soon, and will be either working as a part time teacher or LSA, before hopefully moving on to a SENCO role in the future.
    Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It is difficult to do thought not impossible when not in a post. Some providers will require you to be in post.some people do it as an inspiring senco but are usually shadowing or helping their school's senco. I think some of the requirements of the course would be difficult to complete when not in the job, especially the research part and the portfolio some provider have you do.I'd say experience is more important at the moment and then the qualification.

minnie me likes this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I have seen providers that will take 'aspiring' sencos, but hand on heart I just don't see how they could evidence the criteria for professional development. If your school are supportive, and will write a reference to say so, then it might be possible. But also bear in mind that a legal requirement of being a senco is that you are a teacher and directly employed by the school, which may be a barrier if you are employed as an LSA.

minnie me likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

If the ‘ training ( accreditation ) ‘ is worth its salt then the provider will make demands on you as a participant which will require you to reflect on decisions you have made , observations you have drawn and actions you have initiated which have demonstrated how you have impacted on leading / managing provision. There may be courses for aspiring SENCOs but I would be mindful that they cannot / should not be accredited in the same way ..

Wotton and Flanks like this.
  5. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

Can anyone tell me the difference between the SENCO and the iSENCO award on the Real Training site? I am working overseas in an International school but both seem to be permitted in this setting. The only difference I can seem to see is that the iSENCO qualification won't get you a job in England?

6. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Just to clarify the post I made, earlier, the person mentioned did take responsibility for SEN Coordination for a whole key stage at that point, under the direction of the school SENCO,so it wasn’t just a role in name, but in practice, too.

7. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Actually, if they passed their qualification I would suggest a fair amount of 'fudging' was done in meeting the criteria for professional development portfolio. A large part of the course is about evidencing leadership for SEN across the whole school, and how you support and direct teachers in their legal duties.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

From a lot experience in working with a provider for this award I know that there is ' evidence ' you can submit which can be entirely fabricated - it ticks a box. The University for which I delivered was culpable for accepting on occasions below par practice ( it was very keen for all participants to get though ) and its example of provision mapping was nothing more than' a grid with things in it ' . Some colleagues with whom I ' worked ' succeeding in securing the qualification without to my mind demonstrating the necessary attributes, integrity and vision for leading and managing provision effectively. I think the reading / research involved in assignment writing for the Award can be very useful on many levels but many colleagues I mentored / supported / assessed struggled massively with the learning objectives and many did not consider it relevant to their ' job '. I still think the role is open to interpretation according to circumstances and personnel and the title of SENCO needs to be rethought and readjusted according to expectation , responsibilty and accountability - a ' one size fits all ' qualification can be tokenism and I say this with the greatest of respect to those colleagues who have competed or attempting and holding down a full time teaching timetable / duties ...( when I rule the world - ha !! )

Flanks likes this.
  9. lhiggi7

lhiggi7 New commenter

Hello,

I am returning from maternity (badly timed pregnancy) I need to complete my essay for my SENDCo qualification, anyone who could offer support or share their essays that would help dramatically. Really not sure how to juggle my baby, full class teaching responsibility and my SENDco role. Thank you in advance

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have a look at the thread below 'SENCO award assignments ' ? Access to essays may appeal but indicating / specifying the nature of your difficulty ( structure / format / content / title / referencing ) is I think preferable. Perhaps deferring ( if an option ) is a consideration given your circumstances ? Anyway if you can find the time to state exactly what it is you are struggling with am happy to offer my support.

11. amazingpurplecow

amazingpurplecow New commenter

Hi, how much time does the qualification take? I’m Assistant SENCo for 500 pupils in KS3 with 80% teaching (KS3,4 & 5) and am struggling to keep up with the workload.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that no matter what your rôle, responsibility, and / or teaching load the additional commitment to fulfilling the Award is tough.I can ‘t think of any colleague with whom I have worked who has not found it a struggle.

13. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I did it in 2012 with children of my own, teaching Year 1 and having one afternoon a week non-contact time for SEN and another for PPA. It's inevitable that it will spill over into your evenings, weekends and school holidays. I also moved house the week before the final assignment was due, which I do not recommend!