1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Senco qualification

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Helencatharine, May 23, 2018.

1. Helencatharine

Helencatharine New commenter

After I completed my BA in education studies, and prior to my PGCE Scitt qualification, I completed an MA in Special Educational Needs. I have been approached by my school about completing my Senco qualification but I am unsure if my MA already covers part of the course or if I am required to complete the whole thing. Is anyone able to advise?
    TIA

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don’t know the answer but I suspect yes you may have to ? Why not go down route one and contact some prospective providers and ask their take on it ? Hopefully they will give you a professional and honest response

3. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I would complete it if school are asking you to. Most schools looking for a SENCO now want this qualification, so it will help you if you need to look for SENCO roles in the future. I was one of the SENCOs who didn’t ‘need’ to do the qualification as I was in post pre 2006, but am now glad I did it.

4. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Is a senco qualification something people do in service or do they have to go uni for it?

5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Both really. I can't envisage how it is possible to do if you are not in post, although some seen to have done so. It is a university qualification, so you will either need to do it via distance learning or a couple of evenings per week at uni.

minnie me and cys2017 like this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes agree wholeheartedly about pursuing but not in post. I have worked with many SENCOs in schools who (very new to the role ) struggle with the demands of the course and their inexperience- v flawed model imho..

7. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I think the best time to do it is in year two. Got some idea of what the job entails, which helps to make sense of all the theory.

carterkit and MarieAnn18 like this.
  8. jaynemc

jaynemc New commenter

It has to be the 'correct' PGCE SENCO qualification, I also had my MA in SEN, but the University I did my MA with didn't accredit the SECNO qualification. I went back in my second year to do the qualification, once I'd settled into my new school. There are some cross overs that helped but most if it was portfolio/evidence based. Good Luck : )

9. pocoloco

pocoloco New commenter

I am planning to do a course via distance learning. I have the backing of my school and our senco will be my mentor - have I set myself up for an impossible task? The course is postgrad certificate that will fulfil all of the criteria for NASENCO.

10. Sunflower99

Sunflower99 New commenter

Any suggestions on which provider is the best?? - I have the support of my school but am still to decide which provider is the best for distance learning.

11. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

I'm doing mine with SERCO and the University of Wolverhampton. No complaints and reasonable price as I'm paying for it.

12. jaynemc

jaynemc New commenter

I did mine with Edge Hill which is fine if your in the north/midlands as they did days in Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham, we had people travelling from all over, was fairly relaxed and tutors where helpful. Good luck : )

13. Anna L

Anna L New commenter

Real Training are a good online/distance learning provider.