1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SENCO qualification

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Devonsent, Jan 29, 2012.

1. As someone who did not get on with the qualification (dropped off due to unrealistic demands of the university side alongside my other responsibilities), I would advise you to steer clear of it where possible.
    My understanding is that you will be okay seeing as you have held the SENCo role earlier than 2008, which is the official year (I think?) from which new SENCos had to take the training. Also, if you are the assistant SENCo, officially you don't have to hold the qualification - that would be the demand placed on the SENCo.

2. Thanks Devonsent, I have no intention of studying for the qualification as I have always felt that the demands of the course were unrealistic with also working as SENCO. I was ondering though where I stand if I end up taking on the role of SENCO, even though I do not really want to be one again, if the Head said she could not afford to appoint an external candidate and still employ me as Asst, then I might have to change my mind as I need the job!! Single parent and all that!!

3. I'm sure that others have coped with the course well but didn't work for me at all with the demands of being AHT, Maths and Year 6, oh and of course SENCo. (And husband and dad!)
    As it stands, SENCos appointed since the 'start date' have 3 years in which to undertake the qualification so you have 3 years grace if you like. July 2012 will be 3 years since I took the role on and I am waiting to find out where I stand because I won't have the qualification.
    One option is that the title of SENCo could be passed around to other staff but the actual running of it would still be done by me.
    Anyway, good luck.

4. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

I know I'm diverting slightly from the original post, but I'm trying to find out where I can do the course! Has anyone got the name of the official course title please and where it is offered in the Midlands/Warwickshire. An idea of costing would be great too. Many thanks.

5. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

6. SERCO are providing the SENCO training and it is costing our school approx £1000 for this funded training. Hope this helps.

7. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

It didn't cost my school anything with SERCO.